First time Secondary Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dscott60

Reaction score
Hi. I want to move a batch into a secondary fermenter (5 gallon carboy) to make room so I can make another batch in two days. Do you just siphon off the liquid and put an airlock on it? Or do you siphon some yeast into it as well? It stopped fermenting yesterday.

Thanks

Well, you siphon just the beer- but there is yeast in suspension so you still are siphoning plenty of yeast, too. You can just siphon from above the bottom so you can leave most of the trub behind.

I'd recommend checking the sg before racking into the clearing tank, just to make sure it's actually done. You can't tell by airlock activity if it's done or not.

its not secondary 'fermentation'...its a secondary 'vessel' used for clearing your beer. that's why you don't want to siphon yeast if you can avoid it.

listen to Yooper Chick about using gravity, not airlock activity, as the 'all done' signal to rack to secondary.

Back