CNC Shop (or hobbyist) in the South Shore Area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prandlesc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for a shop or hobbyist to help me build my TEC cooler. I need 4 - 4" x 6" x 3/4" aluminum blocks milled on a 8" radius, and I can't find a shop either able or willing to do the job. Any recommendations or leads will be appreciated.

Thanks...

sar_dog - I attached a drawing of what I'm trying to have milled.

I'm working on a TEC / Peltier cooling system for my stainless conical MoreBeer 14.5 gal fermenter. I have the Peltier modules, heat sinks, cooling fans, power supply, etc. I thought it would be relatively easy to find a shop that would mill four small aluminum plates. Base on what I've read in posts by other members, I was expecting to pay about an hour of shop time. So far, I've only found one shop in Braintree that indicated any interest, and they quoted $250 - and maybe more once they really considered it.

So, now I'm reaching out to the community to see if anyone here knows of a shop or hobbyist that can do a simple (at least I think it should be fairly simple) milling job at a reasonable price.

Aluminum Plate.jpg

Are going to seperate this into 4 pieces? I could get the blocks cut with a water jet but that radius cut will deff take some time to both program and cut. Possiblt a long time.

It would take about 30 mins to program the part the about another 3 hrs roughly to machine it. Not including the setup time.

Actually, the runtime could be less depending on how nice of a finish the radius surface would need to be.

It would take about 30 mins to program the part the about another 3 hrs roughly to machine it. Not including the setup time.

The shop in Braintree that said they could do it said about half an hour programming/set up, and an hour to run all 4 parts. They said because it was aluminum, the actual milling time would not be too long - but they said at least $250 to do it. They also thought it wouldn't need a CNC machine, but someone with a smaller milling machine (with some type of bar?) would be able to do it and the machine-time cost would be lower. After I couldn't find someone that could/would do it for what I thought to be a reasonable charge, I put it on the back burner. Now I'm ready to tackle it again.

CNC is the way to go and aluminum is softer.

The price sounds good@$55.5hr. Some shops charge $65-80hr.

That price ($250) is probably about right. Depends on the finish you're looking for. I'd do it for $50 each with you supplying material and shipping.

CNC really isn't needed. Might even be faster and easier to do it on a bridgeport with a big fly cutter or something set to cut the radius. Being aluminum it would cut it like butter.

To be honest, the $250 quoted is a reasonable price. Could I do it in a manual mill? Heck yah. Would I? F!!! no. I've got it around 36 min per to mill to a reasonable surface finish plus set up plus programing plus over head. Professionally I wouldn't touch it for $250. AnOldUR probably has the best price your going to find. Your other option is to find a Trade school with a CNC department and see if they would do it.

Back