Which Brewing Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My girlfriend's buying me a brewing kit as a holiday gift, and I've found these two:

https://bellsbeer.com/store/product...Brewing-Equipment-Kit-w{47}-Glass-Carboy.html (for sale locally for 97.99)

Learn To Brew: Carboy Homebrew Kit with 6 Gallon Carboy

It seems the major difference is the first one has a 5 gallon glass carboy, a 6.5 gallon fermenter, and 6.5 gallon bottling bucket, while the second one has a 6 gallon glass carboy and 7.8 gallon bottling bucket.

I'm starting to read this book Amazon.com: How to Brew: Everything You Need To Know To Brew Beer Right The First Time (9780937381885): John J. Palmer: Books but don't really know if that difference is material or what. The $8ish doesn't really matter. Anyone want to explain to a complete newbie which one is better/why?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
It does seem like you're getting more from the Bell's kit...which is hard for me to say since I know the Learn to Brew guys. I think most people on this site would suggest trying to go with a kit that uses glass carboys or plastic Better Bottles over the buckets...so if you can upgrade and spend a little more $$ I would do it now rather than later. If that's the route to go, I'd suggest using the Learn to Brew website rather than Amazon. LTB offers flat rate shipping and Amazon sets their own shipping prices.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back