Double Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
Is this quote true? Do I need to get 2 vials to get the right amount of yeast?

"A White Labs tube has between 70 and 120 billion cells of 100% viable yeast, depending on the yeast strain. Some cells are much larger than others and there are more or less per ml based on size. (The information on the White Labs web site stating 30 to 50 billion cells is out of date.) We can just assume there are around 100 billion very healthy yeast. You would need 2 tubes if you were pitching directly into 5.5 gallons of 1.048 wort to get the proper cell counts. "

How about Wyeast? 2 large packs or eleven small ones???

Check this out

"A Wyeast Activator pack (the really big ones) and the pitchable tubes have an average of 100 billion cells of 100% viable yeast. The smaller packs are around 15-18 billion cells. You would need 2 of the large packs if you were pitching directly into 5.5 gallons of 1.048 wort to get the proper cell counts. For the small packs, you'd need eleven of them!"

Kayos said:
Is this quote true? Do I need to get 2 vials to get the right amount of yeast?

"A White Labs tube has between 70 and 120 billion cells of 100% viable yeast, depending on the yeast strain. Some cells are much larger than others and there are more or less per ml based on size. (The information on the White Labs web site stating 30 to 50 billion cells is out of date.) We can just assume there are around 100 billion very healthy yeast. You would need 2 tubes if you were pitching directly into 5.5 gallons of 1.048 wort to get the proper cell counts. "

How about Wyeast? 2 large packs or eleven small ones???

Check this out

"A Wyeast Activator pack (the really big ones) and the pitchable tubes have an average of 100 billion cells of 100% viable yeast. The smaller packs are around 15-18 billion cells. You would need 2 of the large packs if you were pitching directly into 5.5 gallons of 1.048 wort to get the proper cell counts. For the small packs, you'd need eleven of them!"

I've read the same thing about White Labs as well. Personally, after one stuck fermentation using a White Labs vial, I will never brew again without a starter. To me, the few bucks it takes to make one beats the hell out of dumping $40 of homebrew down the drain.

Thanks, all. I do make startes every time, just was wondering why this site was saying 2....that would be a hell of a cost increase every batch!

Dried Yeast = Better

. . . . Unless you need specialty yeasts, of course :eek: :p

Then . . . you'd best do a starter.

Back