Cold Plate, Stainless steal Coil Theory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hwangnyc

Reaction score
I have this idea let me know if you think it would work and any comments would be nice too. Lets say we take a small fridge drill the appropriate fittings and run stainless steal coils into the fridge or run it into a cold plate that will attach to a draft do you think this would work? The keg and co2 tank would be on the outside of the fridge and the coils or coldplate would be on the inside.

First, use copper coils - better heat transfer, and copper is easier to work with.

Second, run them through a bucket of water or glycol inside the fridge - again, better heat transfer.

i believe this has been talked about before, and they said it wouldn't work well. cold plates are designed around the fact that there will be ice directly contacted the heat exchanging surface. in a fridge, there is only a convective manner of taking heat away from the cold plate, not conductive, unless you were able to route the cooling lines around the cold plate or cooling coils which is generally impractical. convective heat exchange is not as effecient or effective as conductive heat exchange, so while the first beer or two may pour correctly, the more you pour, the worse it will become.

it's best to have the kegs inside the fridge, or the cold plate on ice.

Right, liquid to liquid heat transfer is so much more efficient. Same reason why you'd die very quickly in 30dF water but be OK in 30dF air. Best to put the cold plate direcly in a body of water inside the fridge or put a pump in it and send the cold water to the cold plate. I imagine you'd have to run the water through several ports on the cold plate to make it cool the remaining loops.

Back