Noobie finishes two batches wants to start another

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1EightT

Reaction score
Hey guys, been reading the forums for a couple weeks while I work through my noob phase in homebrewing. About 8 days ago I bottled my first batch of extract wheat beer. Tried a couple last night and it came out very tasty. I've also got 5 gallons of Apfelwine sitting at the three week mark in the closet, so i'll give it another week or two, then bottle.

Anyhow, given my lack of experience, I need some recommendations from the seasoned brewers here. What should I put in my lonely 5 gallon carboy that I now have sitting empty in my garage? I like wheat beers (Easy Street), dark beers (Guinness), Chimay, etc. Not a hop head by any means. So, any recipes based on that which are going to be the next big hit with friends and family?

Well with the season approaching you can't go wrong with a pumpkin ale. I haven't brewed it myself, but I've heard good things about Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale. I'm actually planning on adapting it to a porter this weekend. ;)

That's actually a fantastic idea. I'm holding thanksgiving at my house this year (for the first time), so it would be nice to have something like this for everyone.

That sounds good as well. I've got two 5 gallon carboys, so I might try both. Now I have a couple noob questions as far as reading and using these recipes.

US 5 Gallon - Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.80 gal

4.89 lb Light Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 75.0 %
0.91 lb Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett)
0.28 lb Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) 508.0 SRM
0.87 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (45 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
0.87 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale
----------------------------

So, from the above i'm guessing that I need to bring 6.8 gallons to a boil, then add in my malts and the extract. From there I add the first bunch of hops for 45 minutes, pull them and put in the second batch for 15? Is that correct?

Yup. Correct on both counts.

The "boil size" is the volume before boiling; you can easily boil off 1.8 gallons in an hour or 90 minutes. Do you do "full boils"?

Yup. Correct on both counts.

The "boil size" is the volume before boiling; you can easily boil off 1.8 gallons in an hour or 90 minutes. Do you do "full boils"?

What are you talking about? This is wrong on both accounts!!

If you can do a full 6.8 gallons boil bring this water up to about 150-160. Then steep the grains in the water from a muslin (mesh) bag like a giant tea bag for about 20-30 minutes. What you are doing is extracting flavor and color from the grains. If you boil the grains you will leach tannins and get bitter off flavors and possibly scorch the grains. Some people also throw the grain bag in the turn the burner on and then remove it(the bag of grains) once that water gets to 170. Let the bag drip to get the most out. You don't want to squeeze the bag. You don't want to steep grains higher than 170.
Then you can then add half to a third of your extract and bring it up to a boil. Once you reach a boil start a 60 minute timer. After 15 minutes pass the timer will be at 45 minutes, throw in your 45 minute hop addition and follow any remaining hop additions like that. You DO NOT pull hops out once in. The 45 minute addition is meant to boil for the last 45 minutes of the boil. the 15 minute addition is meant for boil for the last 15 minutes of the boil. With 15-20 minutes left add the rest of your extract. You can add it all at the beginning, but late extract addition helps stay truer to color. Extract boiled a long time tends to make wort darker than it should be. Doesn't effect taste really. After your time goes off. Remove from heat, Chill to temperature within the range of your yeast (will be written on your package) and pitch yeast and shake the crap out of your bucket.

What are you talking about? This is wrong on both accounts!!

If you can do a full 6.8 gallons boil bring this water up to about 150-160. Then steep the grains in the water from a muslin (mesh) bag like a giant tea bag for about 20-30 minutes. What you are doing is extracting flavor and color from the grains. If you boil the grains you will leach tannins and get bitter off flavors and possibly scorch the grains. Some people also throw the grain bag in the turn the burner on and then remove it(the bag of grains) once that water gets to 170. Let the bag drip to get the most out. You don't want to squeeze the bag. You don't want to steep grains higher than 170.
Then you can then add half to a third of your extract and bring it up to a boil. Once you reach a boil start a 60 minute timer. After 15 minutes pass the timer will be at 45 minutes, throw in your 45 minute hop addition and follow any remaining hop additions like that. You DO NOT pull hops out once in. The 45 minute addition is meant to boil for the last 45 minutes of the boil. the 15 minute addition is meant for boil for the last 15 minutes of the boil. With 15-20 minutes left add the rest of your extract. You can add it all at the beginning, but late extract addition helps stay truer to color. Extract boiled a long time tends to make wort darker than it should be. Doesn't effect taste really. After your time goes off. Remove from heat, Chill to temperature within the range of your yeast (will be written on your package) and pitch yeast and shake the crap out of your bucket.

Do what he says. :mug:

perhaps the only thing i would change is instead of a muslin bag to use a large nylon hops bag. Easier to clean and reuse, plus it seems to let less of the junk through you dont want in the wort. After you use it to steep the grains, you can rinse it out and use it to boil the hops.

Whoops! I missed the bit about adding the grains after bringing the liquor to the boil. My bad, and I take it back. Do what IrregularPulse said on that count.

I also missed the bit about pulling the bittering hops charge. Again, do what IP wrote and leave the first charge in the kettle. Again, I take it back.

That's what I get for replying while SWMBO is talking in the other ear about something completely different. Nice catch, IP! :)

I stand by my advice to add all of the extract at the beginning of the boil. We are, after all, boiling a volume larger than the brew length. If the OP were making a Pilsner, yeah, he'd want to do a late addition to control melanoidin production which impacts color. The recipe is for a Dark Mild. Color control isn't an issue. So the OP probably shouldn't complicate things further.

In fact, I think I've confused things sufficiently that I'm going to go do something else until I can string together a coherent thought! :?

Bob

I'd say you can go wrong with a pumpkin ale <shudder>, but since 180 likes the idea, 'tis a moot point. I will put in a vote for brewing things that appeal to you, and not, say, making IPA's if you're not a hop head (I'm not, and so I don't).

Dark beer, or specifically Guinness? Guinness is (IMHO, at least as exported to the states - I hear it may be different at home) a fairly thin and bitter member of the dark beers, many of which are more robust and less bitter. I love Samuel Smith's Oatmeal stout, personally.

Pretty much any porter/stout sort of thing should be good - winter is coming on. By March or so, think ahead to brews for drinking in summertime.

I'll second your sentiment about North American import Guinness. The Guinness that I got in Germany and Ireland was MUCH better.

For a quality Guinness in this country, reach for an Extra Stout!

I should have clarified the Guinness point lol. When I was in the UK/ Germany, etc the Guinness was much better than the American stuff. I do enjoy dark stouts, oatmeal stouts, etc. Might be good for a nice winter beer. The pumpkin ale might be a good idea for thanksgiving, but i'm not sure how much I will enjoy it beyond that.

Back