What is the best way to controll your temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the resources....a fermentation chamber. Be it a fridge, chest freezer, or a DIY chest. If not, then search a swamp cooler.

This is probably my second biggest hurdle to climb in improving my brewing (moving to full boils being the other).

I started going with swamp coolers, which helps me keep temps cooler than they were before, but I'm still having a hard time keeping them as cool and stable as I'd like, and I've had to re-ice the water every few hours to keep the temp down, which is a big pain in the toosh.

In fact, re-icing may be a mistake on my part, as it may be causing temp fluctuations. Maybe what I should be doing is setting it and forgetting it. That's my plan for the next few batches. Hope to see if that results in any improvement.

By far the best/easiest method is using a fermentation chamber, be it a fridge, freezer, or converted box controlled by a temp controller of some kind. Using a dual-stage controller is also very nice handy.

I used a swamp cooler of sorts. I place my bucket into a tray with 3-4 inches of water. Then I place an old t-shirt over the bucket. I have a fan blowing on them. It seems to knock the temp down by 10°. It took me a few day to build up a supply of plastic bottles to put in the freezer. A few times a day I just replace the thawed bottle with a frozen one. It's been really hot lately so I'm doing this quite a bit. I'm sure in the winter months I won't have to do this as often.

I use a small chest freezer and a Johnson Controls temperature controller. Set the freezer on the coldest setting and dial in your temperature. Done.

This is why, for me at least, it's easiest to brew in the winter. My basement is a chilly 52 degrees, which is easy to fix with a brew belt (hits in the 60s). I think this keeps it relatively constant.

In the summer the basement temps fluctuate much more, from 68-80 depending on the weather. I've been putting the bucket or carboy in a big tub filled with star san (to prevent mold) and drop 4 frozen water bottles in twice a day (I have 8 I use and swap out).

A fermentation chamber build is on my list, but may not happen for a couple years... and that doesn't get around the fact that I need some method for cooling the chamber (either ice or a fridge/freezer).

... Looking forward to cooler temps. . . .

I'm not rich by no means but I can't understand why people put off buying a ferm fridge? After I brewed my first beer I realized the need and brought one. The same guys who say they can't afford it also post they've brewed 5 beers in the last month. If you really want to get into brewing seriously then save the money your spending making ok beer so you can make better beer later. It's a investment not a race!

I use my MLT as my swamp cooler and it works great. It is the Igloo Ice Cube 48 quart version. I bought styrofoam sheeting and fashioned a cap to fit atop the cooler and accommodate the fermenter. It is simply five pieces glued together with Elmer's and duct tape. I also have four 'flanges' of styrofoam glued to the inside that sit just inside the cooler to help hold the cap in place - that way the cap is not just resting on top with a gap the entire way around. I also have a hole cut in the top for a blowoff tube or if I'm just using an airlock it prevents CO2 buildup - not that the cap is airtight however.

With the fermentor in place I fill with about 4 gallons cold water and rotate between one and three 1 liter bottles I have frozen in the freezer twice a day or so during the first week of primary. Sometimes two weeks if I have no other brew planned. After the first week I'm far less anal about rigid temperatures and I just put the bucket in the bucket area in the basement where temps are usually between 65 and 70. I feel at this point temperature control is not nearly as critical as long as I don't let it get extremely cold or warm. It's that simple and it works great.

i have this
haier-bc112g1.jpg

works great :thumbup: was 90 i think a few months ago, has made my beer OVERLY drinkable lol
it is temp controlled for 45-65 degrees with the control panel on front

My project today is to take the space under my basement stairs, line it with foam insulation, install a door on it, and then install an old air conditioner and hook that up above. I already made a dual-stage temp controller and I have a little space heater for heating it if necessary. And run some wiring for everything. And maybe install a light in there too.

Yeah...this sounds like more than a single day project, now that I think of it.

Add 1 more for a dedicated fridge, freezer with a temp controller. Craigslist is a great source for frigdes and freezers for cheap, often less than a couple batches of beer. Entirely worth it. Controllers can range in prices from dirt cheap to well over $100 depending on what you want or looking for.

I'm not rich by no means but I can't understand why people put off buying a ferm fridge? After I brewed my first beer I realized the need and brought one. The same guys who say they can't afford it also post they've brewed 5 beers in the last month. If you really want to get into brewing seriously then save the money your spending making ok beer so you can make better beer later. It's a investment not a race!

It's not the ferm chamber that's expensive, its the larger house to put it in that hurts the most. Don't assume everyone brew in a large area.

LandoLincoln said:
My project today is to take the space under my basement stairs, line it with foam insulation, install a door on it, and then install an old air conditioner and hook that up above. I already made a dual-stage temp controller and I have a little space heater for heating it if necessary. And run some wiring for everything. And maybe install a light in there too.

Yeah...this sounds like more than a single day project, now that I think of it.

That's what I did, well kind of. I just installed an a/c under my stairs. since my basement doesn't get lower than 65 it will work to cool it down if the temp gets too high.

It's not the ferm chamber that's expensive, its the larger house to put it in that hurts the most. Don't assume everyone brew in a large area.

that was my issue untill i moved as well. i ended up using the wine fridge as a end table in the front room lol

Chest freezer in the garage with a Love controller. Tape the temp sensor to the fermentor, set the temp and you are good to go, even in 100+ degree temps for 3 months.

If it's important to you, you can make/find room. I'd bet that I have the among the smallest living spaces of anyone on this forum. Gotta love NYC living. I was able to fit a 5cu ft chest freezer with a temp control. It's better then cranking my window a/c to 65. That becomes expensive real quick.

Styrofoam box, big enough to accept 5 gal carboy. Walls are 2" wide so it keeps temp. pretty well. Temperature is tracked by 2 probes and K-Type thermometer (1 probe in box and other insulated on carboy side).

It is cheap and simply method, I have to put approximately 2 x 1.5L ice bottles per day to keep temp in carboy in 62-67F range for ale"s.

But if you are asking for best method, I would certainly suggest fridge with some kind of controller... one of my plans for future, until that I"ll have to satisfy with styrofoam box.

Just wondering how everyone controls their fermentation temps.

I bought a cheap cabinet at Lowe's deep and high enough to fit a 6.5 gal carboy plus airlock. I then cut out rigid pink insulation and glued it inside. I bought a Johnson controls temperature controller. The chest is in my basement where the temperature is a steady 58 degrees. I use an electric fermentation heater, the kind that wraps around the carboy. I tape the probe of the controller to the outside of the carboy. I then set the temperature controller to the desired temp.

It works well and keeps the temperature steady at the desired number.

You can buy the controller and heater from Northern Brewer.

Back