Help: Pitching trub to starter to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treehouse

Reaction score
I'm helping my brother rack from his primary tomorrow and I want to get some of his yeast. The problem is I won't be brewing until the day after. I was thinking of putting about a tablespoon of the trub into a starter, leaving it out all night and pitching the next day. This is an active yeast I'm told, Wyeast 1028(?). I'm going to pitch to a high gravity Irish Red Ale (og ~+- 70). My question is: Is a teaspoon into the starter going to be enough? Or should I just I just grab a cup of trub and leave it out overnight, pitch the next day and not bother with the starter? I don't want to over pitch, but that would be easier. I'm into easy.

treehouse said:
I'm helping my brother rack from his primary tomorrow and I want to get some of his yeast. The problem is I won't be brewing until the day after. I was thinking of putting about a tablespoon of the trub into a starter, leaving it out all night and pitching the next day. This is an active yeast I'm told, Wyeast 1028(?). I'm going to pitch to a high gravity Irish Red Ale (og ~+- 70). My question is: Is a teaspoon into the starter going to be enough? Or should I just I just grab a cup of trub and leave it out overnight, pitch the next day and not bother with the starter? I don't want to over pitch, but that would be easier. I'm into easy.

Take the whole carboy and pitch right on it. 1 day won't matter. Make sure wort is below 100 deg.

I was afraid to try the whole trub thing due to concerns of blowout, so I only used a mugful...Airlock bubbled like mad within an hour and has nearly stopped after about 72 hours...Mucho pronto fermento!

Once I get a decent blow-out emergency kit, I'll give it a go. It seems to me that if you're set up/prepared for blowouts, you've got nothing to lose.

But Beer.

You should pour off some of the yeast cake/trub into a mason jar. Then you can rinse the trub out by doing this...

Pour junk into sanitized 2 ltr pitcher
Add fresh clean water to pitcher to at least double the fluid, though triple is better
Swirl the stuff and let sit covered for a bit - maybe 5 or 10 minutes
Pour off half into another sanitized 2 ltr pitcher and dump the rest (including the trub)
Repeat in the new pitcher and between the two until almost all the trub is gone.

Make your starter with this left over solution that is primarily yeast in solution. Just add some fresh wort...

Latest posts

Back