About one year ago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEVENJAN

Reaction score
I received a Mr. Beer kit 2 Christmases('08) ago at a party gift exchange. I didn't brew until about February 2009. I have made 4 or 5 batches using the Mr. B kit. I have graduated to a 3 gal. pet water bottle I bought at Winco. I made a few batches in it. A friend at work got a 5 gal. pet water bottle for me. I just bottled my 3rd. batch I have made in it.
I have made Pale ale, Irish Stout, Canadian draft, wheat beer and repeated the same in the Mr.B kit. I made an attempt making Mead, molasses/mead and Pomegranite wine. All pretty good. They wouldn't win a prize but, drinkable. I have made Amber, wheat/light, Dunkle, Dunkleweizzen and I just bottled an Amber/Wheat.
4.5 gallon in my 5 gal. pet 2# amber dme, 2# wheat dme, 1 cup corn sugar.
2 tsp. Cascade hops (I don't have a scale) & Nottingham yeast.
O.G. 1.040 F.G. 1.010 3.87 ABV
While bottling, I of course sampled after I tested with the hydrometer. Very drinkable already. Can't wait for carbonation.
It should be ready for golf season.
1st tournament April 19th. League starts April 5th.
It has been a busy year for a newbie. Do I graduate yet?

I forgot, I also made 2 batches of Apple beer. The first one I used too much apple cider, it was very tart.
It was hard to drink & mixed reviews from friends.
The second one, I used just enough Apple cider. It was exclaimed to be good by all concerned. I tend to share with friends. I suppose we all do.

Mr Beer's are great for getting people interested in the hobby. It gives you a cheap "in" and with so little upfront cost Mr Beers are perfect. A lot of brewers here started with them even those a large number criticize them because of the resulting brew. It worked for you, so I would say you graduated from Mr Beer, yes, but IMHO you never graduate from Homebrewing because there is so much knowledge out there. You gotta just keep learning, thats what I do.

Congrats on the bew, dude. Its a good feeling.
-Jefe-

No, I'll never be a graduate of Brewing but I thought I could leave the "New to Brewing" Category.
Not yet, because I haven't done a grain batch yet.
I am really happy with extract brewing right now and so are my friends that I share with, so I may never go there.

Back