Grain Mill motor wiring help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drkwoods

Reaction score
Ok I got this sweet old Craftsman 11312130 motor that has the cap start on it. I want to wire a DPDT switch to run both directions. The sticker on the motor says switch the red n black terminals to reverse. How would I wire that to the switch. First pic is CCWR and second pic is CWR
The incoming power on the right is the wire nuts to the two right side terminals. The left side terminals are the ones I switched to reverse. The test works. Now to install the switch. Thank you!!

image-1401183871.jpg

image-2789046392.jpg

image-2426786016.jpg

image-2074238971.jpg

image-1048504951.jpg

What are you gonna do with it? 1700 rpms is pretty quick. Duh just read post title.

petrostar said:
What are you gonna do with it? 1700 rpms is pretty quick. Duh just read post title.

Yea I have a 1.5" sheave on the motor And an 11" sheave for the mill. Should give me 160Rpm at the mill

I tired wiring it like that and the motor spins, but slowly? the only way it reverses and runs full power is for me to switch the red and black wires on those left two terminals. but they have to be connected.. Is one of them neutral and the other ground? Do I still have to keep the right two terminals connected to the hot/neutral? help

Figured it out!!!! I had to get a 3PDT on-off-on switch. Down position is mill on normal. Middle off and up position is mill reversed. Here's what I did

image-3257976107.jpg

Back