Recirculation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-ta-sauraus

Reaction score
I currently brew on a 3 tier rig, all three tiers have burners. My mash tun has a false bottom. In order to bring my mash temp back up I used to turn on the burner and stir but with the false bottom the bulk of the liquid is below the false bottom. My last brew I tried recirculating the liquid out of the mash tun into a 2 qt pitcher an then I poured it back on top of the mash and stirred in. It worked much better and brought the temp right back up to where I needed it. Problem was that I got alot of aeration while doing the recirculating into the pitcher as well as into the mash tun. I have a pump and I would like to run liquid out of my mash tun into the pump then back up into my mash tun. Can anyone tell me what type of system is used running the liquid back into my mash tun? Pictures would be great? I am trying to avoid aeration, but I want to get the hot liquid to cover as much of the mash as possible to bring the temps back up. I thought about a copper tube bent and just hang it over the edge of the tun but then the liquid will just run down the inside under the false bottom again. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't have any pics handy but I currently use a home made fly sparge ring. Made out of PEX pipe with holes driiled in it. Connection will depend on your setup. Mine is all tri clamp (there is a link below my sig with pictures of the system before I made the sparge ring). I used to use a silicone hose that rested on top of the grain (see the setup on a brew magic system) bed but found that it led to large temp variations throughout the mash.

So the sparge ring doesnt aerate the wort at all? I have a sparge ring now that I use but I though that would aerate the wort to much. I am traying yo avoid hot side aeration.

I'm sure it does aerate the wort but there is no noticable affect to the final beer. I personally don't believe that HSA is anything that homebrewers should be concerned with under normal circumstances. I've made the same recipe with and without the ring and there is no noticable difference in taste.

I agree that HSA is more myth than anything else. Since you already have a sparge ring, I say use it. If you didn't, I'd suggest a short length of silicone transfer tubing laid on top of the grain bed. It's cheap, easy, and works great for both recirculation and sparging.

Back