Krausen not falling out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turner_Brown

Reaction score
So I had a very active primary (see below) pic taken about 18 hours after pitching. I'm coming up on 12 days in the primary and the yeast are starting to fall out and the top 4-5 inches of the beer are looking pretty clear...but there is still a 1 inch head of foam on the beer. I have never seen this before in my other batches. Granted my other batches were all partial mash and this is my first AG. Seems kinda strange. In my past experience, the krausen fell first and then the beer began to clear. The head is also has more of a dense creamy appearance rather than the lighter foam of my last batches. Is this normal?
This is a 1.093 OG IIPA using Amer. Ale II yeast.

web-1.jpg

Have you ever made a 1.093 beer before? If not you are going to see a lot of different things and depending on new grains you used and a different yeast you can see lots of other new things. It looks like you are fine, but your beer needs a lot more time to just sit there and work. The yeasties are doing a good job, but have a long way to go so just let them work.

I have bottled a beer that was 1.095 and it was in the primary for over 2 months. The first month I saw signs of fermentation and the second was to clear.

Have you ever made a 1.093 beer before? If not you are going to see a lot of different things and depending on new grains you used and a different yeast you can see lots of other new things. It looks like you are fine, but your beer needs a lot more time to just sit there and work. The yeasties are doing a good job, but have a long way to go so just let them work.

I have bottled a beer that was 1.095 and it was in the primary for over 2 months. The first month I saw signs of fermentation and the second was to clear.

Yeah, this is my first beer over 1.070. I probably just need to brew another smaller beer now so I can stop worrying about this one.

When you say you saw signs of fermentation for a month...what signs?

My first IPA was only 1060ish and the krausen didn't fall for nearly a month. I actually had to rack from underneath all the "gunk" and was a little concerned about it since I hadn't seen this before. When it was all said and done the beer turned out to be the best I've ever made.

So the moral of the story? RDWHAHB :)

Yeah, this is my first beer over 1.070. I probably just need to brew another smaller beer now so I can stop worrying about this one.

When you say you saw signs of fermentation for a month...what signs?

Either co2 bubbles still on the top or FG has not been reached or is still dropping.

Yep, I think you could brew a 1.045 beer now and have it ready before this one possibly.

Back