Final Gravity: Am I close enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesy_Goodness

Reaction score
I was all psyched and ready to bottle my first batch today, but my final gravity is a few points higher than the range indicated on the recipe.

The recipe (extract Belgian style) only called for it to sit in the primary for about a week, but I let it go an extra week to clear up (and boy I'm glad I did). I took my reading today and it came in at about 1.018. The FG range on the recipe calls for 1.010 - 1.015. OG on the recipe called for 1.050-1.055 and I was right in there on brew day.

Should I sweat a few gravity points? If I bottle today should I ease off a bit on the priming sugar?

Thanks for the reply.

When I took a reading last week (which I of course did not write down), it was still pretty cloudy, but it has cleared up beautifully since then. Does that matter?

Also, if I keep checking the gravity and it's the same for a few days in a row, does that mean it's finished, or can it still change?

Let it sit

The best tip for any home brewer is PATIENCE!

After the first 2-3 batches you'll learn that just letting it do its thing is the best thing you can do. I've had a few batches that seemed to stall and then pick back up.

Thanks for the reply.

When I took a reading last week (which I of course did not write down), it was still pretty cloudy, but it has cleared up beautifully since then. Does that matter?

Also, if I keep checking the gravity and it's the same for a few days in a row, does that mean it's finished, or can it still change?

Dont need a few days in a row, just the same a few days apart.

I've also heard that giving the fermenting bucket a very gentle swirl (being careful not to aerate) can give the yeast a little nudge. It seems to me just the act of taking the lid off the bucket can be enough of a swirl. I tend to do this, although I don't know if it really does anything.

If you were fermenting at a fairly cool temp, you could also try bumping the temp up by 4 or 5 degrees. That might help it finish. Either way, I'd wait another week and see what gives.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, if it's the same after at least three days, then it's done and you can bottle it.

Let it sit

The best tip for any home brewer is PATIENCE!

After the first 2-3 batches you'll learn that just letting it do its thing is the best thing you can do. I've had a few batches that seemed to stall and then pick back up.

Damn, patience is my least favorite virtue :D

Looks like I'll be checking readings for a few days and shoot for (hope for) a bottling day of Thursday or Friday.
Thanks folks, much appreciated :mug:

I have a similar question. I started an IPA three weeks ago today. The OG was 1.060. We racked to secondary a week later and took another reading, 1.010. Today we got another 1.010, but I still see bubbles in the vial we use to take the sample. I'm thinking I should wait another week to see if the bubbles stop.

soapy45 said:
I have a similar question. I started an IPA three weeks ago today. The OG was 1.060. We racked to secondary a week later and took another reading, 1.010. Today we got another 1.010, but I still see bubbles in the vial we use to take the sample. I'm thinking I should wait another week to see if the bubbles stop.

The bubbles you have in your sample tube is normal because the beer is now slightly carbonated due to the yeast activity. 1.010 is a great gravity for an OG of 1.060. You should be good to go especially if you have the same reading two weeks in a row.

It's done fermenting most likely,especially since you got the same gravity twice in a row. What you're seeing is dissolved co2,a by product of fermentation. Just let the beer settle out clear or slightly misty & you're good to bottle.

As was mentioned, "bubbles" aren't a sign of continued fermentation. In fact, you will carbonating the beer, and bubbles are what you're looking for in carbonation.

Bubbles just mean there is c02 in the solution. If you look at airlock activity, an airlock may bubble if the weather changes due to the release of c02, but it doesn't mean fermentation is occurring.

If it's been at 1.010 for two weeks, it's not going to get any "doner" than it is right now.

Ok now I'm really confused. I took a reading last night and it came in higher than on Sunday. Somehow it went from 1.018 on Sunday to 1.020 on Monday. How is that possible?

Seeing things was my initial thought actually. My second was blaming the hydrometer for somehow malfunctioning, and my third thought was to blame the dog.

I've tried to keep it between 70-75 for most of it's life...although now that you mention it when I took my reading on Sunday I did have it sitting in the (slightly) warmer kitchen for a few hours before hand.

I guess that could explain it, but I didn't think a few degrees would make much difference? I'll take my reading tonight in the same area as last night and hope it hasn't mysteriously risen again.
Thank you sir!

I'm not sure how it's possible, but it's risen again. I took the reading in the same area of the house as yesterday and it rose to 1.020. What's more is it seems to slowly rise in the thief. Could the carbonation in the beer cause the hydrometer to give an inaccurate reading? I'm completely at a loss here.

Might seem like a silly question, but have you spun your hydro to make sure there are no bubbles on it?

Yup, I lowered it so the bottom was in the beer then gave it a good spin as I dropped it completely in.

Some ideas for you: try to take a temp reading of your sample at the same time you check gravity. Even if you take into account what the ambient temp is, doesn't mean that's the temp of your sample and also your equipment may absorb or give off heat depending on their temp. (Ex you just took them both out of a cold sanitizing solution)

Second, when you so have your sample, cover the opening of it and shake it to cause it to foam. Do this a few times and let is settle out. This way you are forcing carbonation out of your sample.

I just let it sit with the hydrometer in it for a couple minutes to degass a little. Then spin the hydrometer to take the reading.

Those both make complete sense. I thought as soon as I dropped in the hydrometer it should be reading what it is, didn't account for temp or carbonation at all. Hopefully that's the difference
Thanks!

I ended up bottling this weekend. I took the advice on this thread and got my sample to a steady temp by putting it in the refrigerator to get a temp reading (the candy thermometer I've been using only goes down to 100F. Next item on my list). I stirred it around to degas and took a reading and the FG was exactly where it needed to be.

Thank you for your help!

Back