BCS-460 programming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin509

Reaction score
Any good sources for process program examples for the BCS-460/462? New to this. Also is anyone using its DINS inputs for anything?

I'd encourage you to visit ECCs website:
http://www.embeddedcc.com/

It may not answer all of your questions, but they do have a BCS wiki and an online forum to ask and get answers to questions. I just received my 360 in the mail yesterday, so I know I'll be spending some time on the site trying to get things fired up and customized.

Good luck!
PLOVE

+ 1 above,

I've had some good success with setting up multiple processes. I use one process for heating the strike water and holding it in the mash tun at strike temperature, one process for the mash including mash out and sparge, and one process for boil. Each process starts the following as it shuts down.

My boil process runs a 5500 watt heater at full power until I see it start to boil, it then drops to 80% until hot break. At that point I continue to a step that gives up control of the heat to a 4th program for power control. This program is controlled via two momentary contact switches to 2 DINS inputs, one to increase heat by 5%, the other to lower it by 5%. The DINS are much faster than moving the mouse over a web input and clicking the mouse.

PM me if you would like further details, as the programs are very specific to my hardware.

I like your +5/-5 idea Chuck, I think I'll add something like that using web inputs.
One thing I'm wondering, why use separate processes for all those things? I use a single process and step through it - but the reason I did that is because I also use the BCS to control my ferment and keezer temps so I didn't want to waste multiple processes for brewing when one would suffice.

Thanks for the look at your process, beginning to get the idea. Still thinking how to use actual switches to control some steps instead of reaching for the mouse. Pump on/off is one thought but I think that would have to be part of the programming process in every process as opposed to an actual override.

Too bad there isn't a global setting to except a DINS input from a switch to activate/deactivate a pump, jump states or kill a processes (e stop feature).

Too bad the BrewTroller can't marry the BCS-460 that would be a great joining of features.

Too bad there isn't a global setting to except a DINS input from a switch to activate/deactivate a pump, jump states or kill a processes (e stop feature).

Couple thoughts.
I think you can do just what you're thinking by using the ladder logic. I've recently started using the ladder logic for a couple things and it can be quite powerful.

Also, why have a DIN to control the pump when you can just use a selector switch? I use a three way selector for the pump. On one side I feed the +5V VDD from the BCS, the middle is pump OFF, the other side is the pump output from the BCS. Achieves the same thing, gives you manual control over the pump. I have similar control over heating elements and my HLT stir motor.

Couple thoughts.
I think you can do just what you're thinking by using the ladder logic. I've recently started using the ladder logic for a couple things and it can be quite powerful.

Also, why have a DIN to control the pump when you can just use a selector switch? I use a three way selector for the pump. On one side I feed the +5V VDD from the BCS, the middle is pump OFF, the other side is the pump output from the BCS. Achieves the same thing, gives you manual control over the pump. I have similar control over heating elements and my HLT stir motor.

Thanks I'll think about it some. Kinda trying to see what I can integrate into the controller. Seems like I have been planning all these things and it ends up being just a bunch of switches/LEDs/relays not even related to the BCS-460. I guess stepping out of the "box" and looking back in I see when all is said and done I could pull the BCS out replace it with a couple PIDs and brew day it's much different. The BCS-460 is slick with data logging and web UI but I might need more.

+ 1 above,

I've had some good success with setting up multiple processes. I use one process for heating the strike water and holding it in the mash tun at strike temperature, one process for the mash including mash out and sparge, and one process for boil. Each process starts the following as it shuts down.

My boil process runs a 5500 watt heater at full power until I see it start to boil, it then drops to 80% until hot break. At that point I continue to a step that gives up control of the heat to a 4th program for power control. This program is controlled via two momentary contact switches to 2 DINS inputs, one to increase heat by 5%, the other to lower it by 5%. The DINS are much faster than moving the mouse over a web input and clicking the mouse.

PM me if you would like further details, as the programs are very specific to my hardware.

Hi ChuckO

I realize your comment about the BCS-460 is quite old but I am hoping that you would still be willing to share some examples of your programming with me. I just bought a used set-up with a BCS-460 so I'd appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks

glevy

I've since upgraded my system to a BCS-462 for added input/output capabilities, but everything works similarly. I will PM you with a copy of my setup for hardware and the software processes. I'll probably get it off to you this evening.

Chuck

Thank you ChuckO

Can you also please tell me what version of the BCS software you are using? Thanks again for your help! Very much appreciated.

I've since upgraded my system to a BCS-462 for added input/output capabilities, but everything works similarly. I will PM you with a copy of my setup for hardware and the software processes. I'll probably get it off to you this evening.

Chuck
Could I ask the same favor? I have had a BCS 462 sitting on my shelf for some time, without sufficient power to the garage to use it. I am finally fixing that situation. Now to find where I put the various parts.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Hi ChuckO:

I am sorry to bother you again but could you please resend me a copy of your setup for hardware and the software processes?

Thanks again for your help!

glevy

glevy, ThreeDogsNE,

Look at your profile page, I sent you a private message requesting your email address to send you my setup and processes. I would rather not upload them as files here as they might require some explanation better done via email.

glevy, ThreeDogsNE,

Look at your profile page, I sent you a private message requesting your email address to send you my setup and processes. I would rather not upload them as files here as they might require some explanation better done via email.

Thanks. Unfortunately I get the message "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action." when I try to access your PM in my profile. Regardless my email is [email protected]

Thank you again!

Latest posts

Back