cleaning sticky tubing? how? should I just replace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
So most of my tubing that were hung up to dry smell like hops and are sticky. Kinda upset cause it wasn't me that cleaned them but whatever. What's a good way to clean the crap out of them?

Thanks

You can soak in hot PBW and rinse
Or what I do I just replace.

Occasionally it is just the ends of the tubing that look funky, I just cut those off and continue to reuse the tube until it is too short.

If you're worried about dirty tubing, I'd replace it. $5 or so for tubing is much better than risking a fouled up batch of beer IMO.

Cheers

so other than soaking and rinsing, there is no other way?

Actually there is. They're called brushes. The long 3-6' ones. Brushing cleans better than soaking and rinsing alone.

You could tie a wad of fabric to a string. The wad will scrub the walls as you pull it back and forth. Some are successful with just a wad and some faucet pressure. Use some soap or PBW.

If you have a convenient source of new hose, replace it. I do that about every four batches even though I rinse and sterilize the tubing.

here is what I use to clean tubing ...

Soak it in hot water and oxyclean and run this through it... rinse with hot water then cold.... clean tubes.

IMG_0254.jpg

When needed, I use my long gun cleaning kit with cotton brushes and some Oxy-Clean to de-gunk tubing.

Latest posts

Back