Measuring gravity into boiler...adjust?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzal8

Reaction score
When I am measuring the gravity of my wort going into the boiler, should I be adjusting based on the actual temp of the wort? (120degrees F)

If the temperature is anything other than what the hydrometer was calibrated for (usually 60F) you need to make the adjustment. 120F is pretty high though, I would stick it in the fridge for a couple minutes to bring the temp down.

bradsul said:
If the temperature is anything other than what the hydrometer was calibrated for (usually 60F) you need to make the adjustment. 120F is pretty high though, I would stick it in the fridge for a couple minutes to bring the temp down.

Ok yea, I mean I usually take this reading as I start the boil, just after I collect the last of my wort, thats why its so hot. So I guess from now on i'll let it cool for a little first in the fridge.

Would you say it is good practice to always take the temp of my hydro samples for temp adjustment?

jzal8 said:
...Would you say it is good practice to always take the temp of my hydro samples for temp adjustment?
I'd say it's a necessity. If you don't the measurement you take isn't correct unless your sample happens to be at the calibration temperature.

Latest posts

Back