Redd's Apple Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpstateMike

Reaction score
Just saw this last night at Wegmans. It is advertised as "The brew with a crisp apple bite", and "Crisp like an apple, brewed like an ale". I haven't tried it yet, but was wondering if anyone else has.

582698_536141636408522_1426176463_n.jpg

I had it for the first time last night...i thought it was very smooth and tasted very good. I wouldnt be afraid to pick up a 12 pack if i wqs you.

I had my first one last night. First few sips didn't impress me, but I found what I liked at the bottom of the bottle. I was curious if was a graff of sorts as well. A quick google search says it's a fruit style beer made by Miller brewing. Seems to be a niche brew where some of the Twisted flavors fall short.
I'd buy a six pack in the future and the wife asked me to make something like it already.

Is it a commercially made graff or just a hard cider?

It says its made with real natural Apple flavor, no mention of juice so I would be hard pressed to say that its a graff or cider, but rather an Apple flavored beer. Probably made for people who don't like the taste of beer

Taste like piss, lol. No but seriously it sucks. Apple flavor is very light, has no head for being an ale, an the carbonation don't last. Also very expensive. I won't buy this again not suggest anyone else do so.

Yeah seriously not impressed. I felt like I was drinking a beer flavored with apple. It just wasn't good at all.

Thanks for the reviews all! I was tempted to buy some of this, but I'll steer clear of it. It sounds exactly like what I didn't want it to be.

Put my vote in the "piss" column. My first sip was meh, but then subsequent tastes went downhill from there. The cider market is one of the fastest areas of growth in the industry and I think this one is an experiment to hopefully tap into that market. Unfortunately I do think it'll appeal to a lot of people out there who haven't had a good cider, good graff, good ale, or any combination thereof.

Now you know my .2¢ ... for what it's worth.

While I think "tastes like piss" is a bit harsh, "beer flavored with apple" is a much more accurate assessment. It is by no means a cider. They could have done a far worse job with the apple flavor if they went with a more Jolly Rancher taste, but thankfully they didn't. It isn't great, but I would drink another.

I picked up a sixer from the gas station. I love cider so I was hoping that it would be decent at least. It honestly tasted like watered-down apple juice to me. It didn't have much flavor and the body was seriously lacking. Angry Orchard and Crispin' are probably 10 times better, at least.

I like cider and fruit ales and this one tastes like neither. Tastes like a carbonated drink with artificial apple flavor. Sweet without any malt or hop flavor that I could detect. I've seen that Samuel Smith's has an apple fruit ale, I think I'd like that much better.

It says its made with real natural Apple flavor, no mention of juice so I would be hard pressed to say that its a graff or cider, but rather an Apple flavored beer. Probably made for people who don't like the taste of beer

yea i think your right on the money. sack up and try a real cider already...

I'm not a fan. I don't like the aftertaste and I think it is a poor make of an apple flavored ale. It is nothing like a cider or a graff IMOH. I wouldn't ever buy it again and I would only drink it if someone offered me one and had nothing else to drink.

I picked up a sixer from the gas station. I love cider so I was hoping that it would be decent at least. It honestly tasted like watered-down apple juice to me. It didn't have much flavor and the body was seriously lacking. Angry Orchard and Crispin' are probably 10 times better, at least.

That's saying something as Angry Orchard is complete crap! Love Joe Herron and Crispin though!

While I think "tastes like piss" is a bit harsh, "beer flavored with apple" is a much more accurate assessment. It is by no means a cider. They could have done a far worse job with the apple flavor if they went with a more Jolly Rancher taste, but thankfully they didn't. It isn't great, but I would drink another.

This. Most people are saying it tastes like piss, or it tastes like a crappy beer flavored with a little bit of apple. You picked up a beer that is heavily mass marketed as an apple ale. Were you expecting more hops? Were you expecting some sort of outstanding base beer with a little apple flavor? I'm confused. I find it funny that that the people who bought it and hated it were somehow expecting it to be something different, and were surprised by it. It tastes exactly like it's marketed to taste like. An apple ale. To me if tastes like it has characteristics of both beer and cider and would be outstandingly refreshing on a hot day. Far too many people around here are drinking their own (and/or someone else's) piss to actually know what it tastes like.

This. Most people are saying it tastes like piss, or it tastes like a crappy beer flavored with a little bit of apple. You picked up a beer that is heavily mass marketed as an apple ale. Were you expecting more hops? Were you expecting some sort of outstanding base beer with a little apple flavor? I'm confused. I find it funny that that the people who bought it and hated it were somehow expecting it to be something different, and were surprised by it. It tastes exactly like it's marketed to taste like. An apple ale. To me if tastes like it has characteristics of both beer and cider and would be outstandingly refreshing on a hot day. Far too many people around here are drinking their own (and/or someone else's) piss to actually know what it tastes like.

I disagree, I think apple sodas taste less artificial than Redd's.

I tried this and it reminds me of when I mix natty light and Apfelwein, I do this often when I have apfelwein on tap, not bad but it's not great, I would not waste any more money on Redds.

It also has artificial color added, I did some research and came up with its apple flavored malt liquor like mikes etc.

That's the beauty of having variety. Many people like something while others despise it. Maybe I like artificial flavoring... don't know. But I enjoy Redd's. Will a mass produced, BMC, artificially colored and flavored malt beverage marketed as an apple ale get overall good reviews on a homebrewtalk.com? lol, it's basically everything people around here hate. Little point in even debating it.

My server JUST LOVES IT! It's much better than the coffee looking beer they serve. She doesn't understand why anyone would drink a beer that dark when there is good beer like Miller! It's DE-LISH!

And with a recommendation like that...I just had to order.:rolleyes:

We all had a taste and were unanimous in the decision...grocery store apple juice.

I just finished my first keg of Brandon O's Graff and.....

ALL OTHERS MUST KNEEL BEFORE GRAFF!

I'm drinking one of these right now (16 oz can). The flavor comes across as a low-cal beer with apple flavor. I can honestly say it isn't as disgusting as I expected but not worth the price. Next time I decide to drink an apple flavored beverage I'll buy a six of woodchuck or some other real cider.

I was disappointed when I tasted this for the first time. Does anyone have a recipe for a real apple ale. I make and drink lots of cider - I love apple and pear juice so it just seamed natural - and think this could be a good combo. Alternatively does anyone have a good ale recipe that would lend itself to a good tasting apple addition. (prefer all grain)

Thanks,

Oddcarout

I was disappointed when I tasted this for the first time. Does anyone have a recipe for a real apple ale. I make and drink lots of cider - I love apple and pear juice so it just seamed natural - and think this could be a good combo. Alternatively does anyone have a good ale recipe that would lend itself to a good tasting apple addition. (prefer all grain)

Thanks,

Oddcarout

I am going to try and come up with a light ale that I can add a small amount of apple juice to.

I dont have experience actually tasting piss so I cannot say for sure how much the taste of this ale is like piss.

It is BMC garbage though. Its not clever, or worth money in the slightest degree.
do not fall for the hype

I bought some and I liked it at first. But repeat this beer and it will get old quick. But my wife loves it. So lets stop nockin it and brew somthing real. I would love to try an apple lambic with a more real ale taste with a good head! I just dont care for ciders or perrys. I have yet to try Lindemans pomme lambic but its next on my list

I've tried the one below. Definitely not a cider, def not a graff, but still pretty tasty. Smallish Ontario brewery, staff of 10.

green-apple.png
GREEN APPLE PILSNER

This one of a kind beer is brewed as a pilsner style beer which is then combined with natural apple juice and essence. The result is a refreshingly smooth beer with a crisp, clean finish, which is perfect for complimenting or cooking with poultry, pork and seafood.

Nickel Brook Green Apple Pilsner is a wonderful alternative for those looking for something new!

4% ABV

RETAIL PRICE
Bottles: $11.95 per 6
473 ml cans are also available. Available at the LCBO
Prices include tax and deposit

Back