No starting gravity taken, Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigB

Reaction score
My first mistake was following the instructions for my morgans extract kit, I didn't take a starting gravity but I added the water as I was supposed to and I added the dextrose as I was supposed to and the yeast was added properly and the temps were pretty stable. I took a final gravity and it was about 1.010...should I be worried?

Also, I tasted the beer prior to bottling but after I added the priming sugar....It tasted quite sweet...almost cidery, again, should I be worried?

This is my second attempt at brewing beer, I'm not going to give up till I get it right but its frustrating.

I hardly ever take readings. I leave it in the fermenter for a couple weeks... til I know fermentation is complete. Only problem is not knowing the abv, but i ain't crazy about all that jazz. You will be fine. Let me know how it turns out.

Worrying wouldn't do anything at this point. The only real thing to do is bottle (as you have) let it carb up and give it a taste. Measuring the SG is good for monitoring how far along you are in fermenting (as well as estimating things like ABV., etc.).

But really... Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew :)

you can still figure ABV since it was an extract kit, they have pretty much set OG levels. Pick the middle of the range for that kit and you will be pretty close.

Right, and also make sure your yield was correct. If you didn't get as much as you thought the OG is probably on the higher end, and if you got more than planned, it's probably on the lower end. It's a really good habit for when you move to all grain and your own recipes. However, if you got down to 1.010 you should be looking very good.

It will be fine, I have never taken an SG reading, I only take 3 FG readings the last 3 days my brew remains in the fermenter which is usually 1.010 and that sweetness and cidery taste will go away after bottle conditioning.
I am still fairly new to home brewing and one thing I have learned is every batch you do something will go wrong that will frustrate the heck out of you, but my brews have all turned out fine, time fixes everything.

All I have to say is thanks!!! I was a little worried especially after my first ever brew was dumped down the drain....I know, I know I should have left it to do its thing. I found that out after I found this site and after I dumped all of it. This time around, it looked and smelled much better during its time in the primary so I hope its good!

OG is really important in grain brewing so you have an idea of mash efficiency. For extract brewing there's few reasons why your actual OG would vary much from the calculated OG.

You can figure out what your OG, and possible FG, would have been by entering the weight of extracts, dextrose, any other adjuncts or fermetables, plus volume of wort and yeast type in a calculator such as Hopville - beer calculus;

http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

Thanks, Hopville looks like a great resource.

My FG was 1.010 and everything I've read and you guys have told me that should be fine! I just need some patience and let this beer do its thing. All I want to do is crack one and try it! Gotta hold out for a little more than a week!

I think you've got it figured out by now but you're finished gravity is good, and you sampled the beer after adding priming sugar so there's a lot of extra sweetness that will be eaten by the yeast before the beer is done.
It's going to be fine and you're going to love drinking it.

Back