Home made hops harvesting machine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jashart

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a plan on how to build a hops harvesting machine. I've seen some videos online about some homemade machines that will strip the cones off the vines, but I'm still unsure on how exactly to design and build one of these machines.

If anyone willing to share pictures, designs, schematics, or anything it would be greatly appreciated!

Here is my hop harvesting machine!

hands.JPG

I'm trying to come up with a plan on how to build a hops harvesting machine. I've seen some videos online about some homemade machines that will strip the cones off the vines, but I'm still unsure on how exactly to design and build one of these machines.

If anyone willing to share pictures, designs, schematics, or anything it would be greatly appreciated!

I think it was an episode of Dirty Jobs that featured a commercial hop farm and their process looked to be stripping the vines of all the cones and leaves, then running them up an inclined conveyor made of something similar to screen with air blowing across it so that the leaves stuck to the conveyor and the cones tumbled back down.

I would think that if you just stripped the vines of all the leaves and cones, you could probably use something along the lines of a tray made out of chicken fence wire to separate the two. Of course I couldn't imagine having enough hops at home to require such a device.

Latest posts

Back