Lapsang Souchong porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmmmdank

Reaction score
This is one I've been meaning to try for a few years now. Brewed on Sunday, in primary now.

Ingredients:

1lb Black Patent malt
1lb Chocolate Wheat malt
3lbs light DME
4lbs amber DME
2-3oz organic lapsang souchong from a local co-op
4oz chinook pellet hops
1oz nugget pellet hops
WLP028 Edinburgh Ale Yeast
(dry hop) 1oz of willamette hops

I think it is going to make I real nice fall/winter day brew, dark and rich, decently hopped, with some hints of pine forest and campfire. Or at least that's what I'm hoping for at this point. I do like how it smelled before I put the lid and airlock on - noticeable smoky, piny aroma, also some tea aroma. And the beastie burps are smelling nice and hoppy.

Check out my blog at http://www.pufftuff.com for a detailed brew day log!

what do you think? anyone else try using lapsang souchong in their beer? how did it turn out?

Back when I was doing extract stuff, and didn't know what I was doing, I threw a handful of lapsang souchong into the boil of a brown ale. It was a frankenstein brew with no recipe; just picked up one of everything at a closeout sale.

This was like 15 years ago. But what I recall was a really interesting result. Reminded me of a camp fire. Now that I know more or less what I'm doing, I've been thinking about giving it anothe rgo. Can't wait to hear how yours turns out.

How did this go?

EDIT: Since he's only ever done 2 posts, he's probably not coming back. Disregard this post.

Thanks for the bump though - I wouldn't have thought of that and having just bought some lapsang for the first time in a few years it sounds like a great idea!

Thanks for the bump though - I wouldn't have thought of that and having just bought some lapsang for the first time in a few years it sounds like a great idea!

Haha, no worries. Hi-jack this thread by posting your recipe (if it differs from the above) and tell us how it goes! Also, it would be interesting to see how the smoky character changes with age, so try it every month or two and post back!

I'd love to - but sadly I've got big queue of things I want to brew at the moment so I can't see it happening any time soon!

I've just tapped a porter though so maybe I'll fill a 6-pack of bottles and dry-tea them for a few weeks and report back!

Funny I read this after I brewed something similar last night. I'm new at home brewing (5 batches) and am sticking with smaller volume (2 gal) for fear of messing up and being pressured to drink 5 gallons of bad beer (old college moral virtue: never waste beer).
My recipe for 2 gallons, I'm calling "Smokey Churchill Porter":
8 oz chocolate malt (350 SRM)
8 oz caramel malt (80 SRM)
0.7 oz lapsang souchong
3.5 lb dark liquid extract
1 oz Willamette boil 60 min.
.25 tsp Irish Moss boil 10 min.
Safale-04 dry ale yeast

SG - 1.062

Like others, the wort ended smelling splendid: piney, smokey, chocolate and caramel. I was afraid of the volume of tea, since it is potent stuff. But so far it seems .7 oz was just about right - time will tell.
Wikipedia says that lapsang suchong was Sir Winston Churchill's tea of choice...if so, this beer with be his beer of choice 1 degree of seperation :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapsang_souchong

I am new, but I'll be back...

Funny I read this after I brewed something similar last night. I'm new at home brewing (5 batches) and am sticking with smaller volume (2 gal) for fear of messing up and being pressured to drink 5 gallons of bad beer (old college moral virtue: never waste beer).
My recipe for 2 gallons, I'm calling "Smokey Churchill Porter":
8 oz chocolate malt (350 SRM)
8 oz caramel malt (80 SRM)
0.7 oz lapsang souchong
3.5 lb dark liquid extract
1 oz Willamette boil 60 min.
.25 tsp Irish Moss boil 10 min.
Safale-04 dry ale yeast

SG - 1.062

Like others, the wort ended smelling splendid: piney, smokey, chocolate and caramel. I was afraid of the volume of tea, since it is potent stuff. But so far it seems .7 oz was just about right - time will tell.
Wikipedia says that lapsang suchong was Sir Winston Churchill's tea of choice...if so, this beer with be his beer of choice 1 degree of seperation :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapsang_souchong

I am new, but I'll be back...

6 weeks later, cracked open a beer on Christmas Eve day and must say I love the lapsang. Very woodsy, just the right amount of smokey. It is a bit black, so I am on the line to call this a stout, maybe a "pout"? :D

Back