Good news and question on the 220v

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
Turns out the people who lived here before me had a spa which was fed with a 50amp 220...it's already wired into the breaker (see pics). All I need to do is run a wire to that?

I think the panel is also a subpanel since it has the main breaker a the top (see pic). So all I should have to do is run a wire to it with a 220 plug, and I should be good to go right?

I'm still going to be uber careful...but if the main breaker is off, I should be able to freely work on the 50amp plug with out worrying about it right?

50 amp switch (Neither the pool nor 2 spa connections have any active connections)
247557_916138704088_55710621_42948524_4025619_n.jpg

Full panel
251165_916138808878_55710621_42948526_3333856_n.jpg

News gets even better! The wire running from the 50 amp line runs directly under the stair in my garage...which happens to be precisely where my brew stand is!

I figure a little snip snip, wire a 220 box, and awwayyyyy we go :ban:

I can't tell from the pic, but is that a GFCI breaker?

If not, I would add some sort of GFCI protection in your system. Breakers save equipment. GFCI saves lives :D

I don't think it's a gfci...i was going to install a gfci closer to the receptical...

I tried to find it by going under my house, and all I found was a grey rat snake about 1.5 ft long (which is fine...he can dine on mice all he wants). The underside of my house sucks...the ac unit is all under there...so making it from one side of the house to the other is a huge pain in the ass. I wasn't even able to make it over to where the dang line enters the crawl space.

The main problem is, I know where the old pool used to be, but couldn't find where the dang spa used to be! I looked all over for the line, figuring it'd be near the pool, and nada.

that's weird. it's possible that they didn't have GFCI protecting their spa. It would be f*cked up and dangerous, but I have seem people do dumber things.

ladder-pool-electrical.jpg

electricity_and_water_equals_pool_party.jpg

they may have fed 50A from that panel to a subpanel closer to wherever the spa used to be and the GFCI could have been in that subpanel. Spa is gone, and GFCI spa panel is gone, too.

Back