Gluten Free Pyramid Apricot Ale attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No_Party

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a clone of Pyramid Apricot Ale, as it was SWMBO's favorite beer before she had to go GF. I will list my recipe(for a 5gal batch), but I was wondering if anyone had brewed this, GF or not. I was planning on using the apricot extract during bottling as that's what I've heard most people have done when making an apricot ale.

4# Sorghum Extract (Briess)
3# Brown Rice Syrup (Briess)
1# Roasted Millet

.50 oz Nugget, pellet 13.00% (60 min)
.50 oz Nugget, pellet 13.00% (10 min)

SafBrew Wheat Ale Yeast WB-06

I will add the Apricot Extract during bottling phase to taste.

I am planning on brewing a clone of Pyramid Apricot Ale, as it was SWMBO's favorite beer before she had to go GF. I will list my recipe(for a 5gal batch), but I was wondering if anyone had brewed this, GF or not. I was planning on using the apricot extract during bottling as that's what I've heard most people have done when making an apricot ale.

1# Roasted Millet

I don't know that I have anything directly useful to add to the discussion, but I've given an apricot beer some thought (my wife loves Magic Hat #9).

Have you used the wb-06 yeast in a GF beer before? (I've got a packet at home waiting to be used...)

I've seen but never tried Magic Hat #9. I may have to give it a whirl next time I hit the store. Is it an apricot ale? Oddly enough, Magic Hat bought out Pyramid a few years back. Then recently Magic Hat was purchased by Genesee, or so I was told by an employee at a local beer store when I told her my home brew idea.

I have not used the wb-06 yeast yet, but I figured since the original Pyramid Apricot Ale was really a hefeweizen, that it was the logical choice for this attempt. It'll be interesting to see what flavors it imparts on the GF beer. Now that you mention it, I will pull off a growler's worth to bottle before I add the extract, just to see what it tastes like without the apricot flavoring. Don't know why I didn't think of that before :)

I've seen but never tried Magic Hat #9. I may have to give it a whirl next time I hit the store. Is it an apricot ale? Oddly enough, Magic Hat bought out Pyramid a few years back. Then recently Magic Hat was purchased by Genesee, or so I was told by an employee at a local beer store when I told her my home brew idea.

I have not used the wb-06 yeast yet, but I figured since the original Pyramid Apricot Ale was really a hefeweizen, that it was the logical choice for this attempt. It'll be interesting to see what flavors it imparts on the GF beer. Now that you mention it, I will pull off a growler's worth to bottle before I add the extract, just to see what it tastes like without the apricot flavoring. Don't know why I didn't think of that before :)

I've never tried the Magic Hat #9, but based on smell, description on the bottle, and my wife's info, it seems that it is a pale ale with apricot flavoring.

I made a very similar beer.

I added strawberry until it faded away and then added apricot. Both were big hits.

That is very promising, although the fact that it took you so long to finish it makes me think that I should make this a half batch.

Did you add apricot extract or something homemade when the strawberry flavor faded? I didn't think about adding maltodextrine to this one. Do you think I should?

That is very promising, although the fact that it took you so long to finish it makes me think that I should make this a half batch.

Did you add apricot extract or something homemade when the strawberry flavor faded? I didn't think about adding maltodextrine to this one. Do you think I should?

My fiancee is not too swift of a beer drinker, she concentrates on the wine. She also forgot it was on tap for awhile. She thought it was delicious, though, and drank it faster than most other beers.

I added a smaller amount of strawberries than is normal because I wanted it to be fairly faint. Even then, it stuck around a few months.

In summary, Make a full batch! :mug:

And you have some kickass recipes on there. I may have to brew your stout recipe next :rockin:

The coffee stout turned out quite interesting. Definitely a love or hate type beer, directly proportional to how much someone loves coffee. If you want a wider audience, use less coffee.

That one is still on tap.

1# Roasted Millet

This recipe looks really good. My question is what type of Apricot extract did you use? I can get Brewer's Best Apricot Extract at my LHBS but I don't know if it is gluten free or not. I emailed LD Carlson but haven't heard anything back yet. I can get Oregon Apricot Puree, which is 100% fruit, making it ok for a GF beer. If I can get the same result from an extract though, I would go that route.

Getting ready to bottle this finally. It sat in the primary for 3 months... life got in the way. I have a problem though. It has attenuated down to 1.000 and is very wine-like. I was thinking of adding Malto Dextrin at bottling to bring up the gravity a bit. Anyone think this is a bad idea or have any other ideas to get some sweetness back into this?

Back