Dubbel Recipe Critique Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krugulitis

Reaction score
How does this look? All advice and feedback is appreciated!

Original Gravity
(1.064 to 1.075)
Final Gravity
(1.014 to 1.018)
Color
17° SRM
Mash Efficiency
70%
Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Boil: 7.0 avg gallons for 90 minutes

malt and fermentables
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable
71 10 00 Belgian Two-row Pale
14 02 00 Munich Malt - 10L
07 01 00 Belgian Candy Sugar Amber
03 00 06 CaraVienne
02 00 05 Aromatic Malt
02 00 05 Special B

hops
use time oz variety
boil 60 mins 0.5 Newport
boil 05 mins 1.0 Goldings

Bitterness
5.5 HBU
24.2 IBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU

yeast
White Labs Belgian Style Ale Blend (WLP575)

Alcohol
7.5% A.B.V.
5.8% A.B.W.

Mash at 150 for 60 minutes. Batch sparge at 168.
Ferment at 68 for first 3 days, raising a degree a day until at 75. Secondary for a month - 3 months.

Your recipe looks great. I'd probably use a different variety of hops, but that's just me.

Few suggestions:

1. Check out Wyeast Belgian Ardennes. It's an excellent yeast that I now use for a majority of my Belgians.

2. Try getting your wort down to 64-65F before pitching yeast. Ferment at 64F until fermentation is almost through, then start cranking up the heat a degree a day.

The recipe looks all right, though I think your grist is too complicated. I also think you're going to end up with too high a FG; I prefer Abbey beers to finish dry, make me want more. I think the combination of Munich and caramel malts and malt accentuating Aromatic will make the beer too "full", even with the sugar.

Ardennes is a rockin' yeast. It's pretty much my house Belgian yeast these days.

Try pitching at 64-65F, then letting the temperature rise naturally to wherever it likes. That recommendation is all through Brew Like A Monk, and it's worked well for me.

Cheers,

Bob

If it were me, I'd drop the crystals and change the syrup over to the Dark Candi or D2 syrup, also bumping it up to about 10-12%

These are really preferences, I think abbey-style beers should be super simple, and vehicles for the yeast. +1 to pitching at 65 then letting it rise to whatever it wants to go at ambient temps, I'll let mine go as high as 84.

the advice is appreciated - i will definitely start the yeast temp low and then let it rise.

i don't have access to syrup - i only have clear, amber, and dark candy sugar, which one would be best to use?

Latest posts

Back