Peanut butter fermentation won't stop!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etcetrah

Reaction score
I was brewing a brown ale and decided to rack a gallon of it onto some de-oiled natural peanut butter (mixed 7 oz. peanut butter with 1 cup of boiling water to pasteurize and make it pourable).

The krausen on the base beer started falling after about 3 days (@68F). I let it go a total of two weeks before racking onto the peanut butter, so it should have been completely done. The portion of the base beer I bottled was at the FG I was shooting for so I didn't expect much activity from the gallon in secondary with peanut butter.

Well, after two weeks, the gallon on the peanut butter is still actively bubbling. It's in a clear glass gallon jug, so I can see it bubbling. It's not roiling like the first few days of regular fermentation, but it's far from still, as in hundreds of tiny bubbles per second that I can see gliding up against the glass.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this before? I wanted to bottle it because I brewed it for a competition and it won't have time to carbonate if I let it go much longer. But, I don't want to bottle with so much activity still apparent.

At this point, I've pretty much given up on getting this one to comp. on time, but I would like some insight on what might be going on. Do peanuts have a lot of complex sugar that the yeast have to break down or is some other process creating gas bubbles?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm still hoping for something good. I just have to be more patient and let it take it's course. There's always another competition around the corner.

Back