Zymurgy Reader's Favorite Commercial Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
I just say this on the AHA website:

We received more than 1,100 votes for 618 different beers from 293 different brewers across the United States and beyond. And this year, we have a new winner. Unlike last year’s results, in which New Belgium’s Fat Tire and Sierra Nevada’s Bigfoot Barleywine tied for top beer, this year there was a clear-cut favorite.

Your favorite beer in America for 2007 is…drumroll, please…Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA.

“Very cool!” responded Dogfish Head founder and CEO Sam Calagione when told about the survey results. “We’ve been brewing 90 Minute for going on eight years now. I’m proud to say it is catching up with 60 Minute [Dogfish’s flagship beer] in sales. Who would have thought eight years ago that a brewery in coastal Delaware could sell thousands of cases of 90 IBU, 9-percent abv beer a week?”

Dogfish Head 90 Minute has been making its way up in the readers’ poll for the last five years, finishing in a tie for 18th in 2003, a tie for third in 2004, and a tie for fourth in 2005.

“We don’t do any advertising for 90 Minute, so I know the appreciation for it came to light through hardcore beer folk turning their friends on to it one pint or bottle at a time,” said Calagione.

Orpheus said:
I just say this on the AHA website:

The fact that Fat Tire tied for first last year kind of cheapens the validity IMHO.
Of course, I am not a malty beer fan . . .

I'm getting some of #10 on list soon......not the Sam Adams!...New Glarus Belgian Red. I'm very impressed that a beer sold exclusively in Wisconsin could be in the top ten. Trading a guy beer to get it because I live no where near Wisconsin.
P.S. Their clone recipe is somewhat of a copout IHMO - go big on the cherries or go home!

landhoney said:
I'm getting some of #10 on list soon......not the Sam Adams!...New Glarus Belgian Red. I'm very impressed that a beer sold exclusively in Wisconsin could be in the top ten. Trading a guy beer to get it because I live no where near Wisconsin.
P.S. Their clone recipe is somewhat of a copout IHMO - go big on the cherries or go home!

I think they did what they could with the 'clone' recipe. I mean, didn't it say you'd need like 20lb or cherries or something to make 5-6g to spec (I only read this issue once this far and its at home 2 hours away)? That would be ridiculous. Can you even fit 20lb. cherries into a 6g fermenter? If so, you wouldn't have much beer left b/c 50%+ of it would be lost to sludge. Not to mention you'd be paying a pretty penny to make the 3g of beer you *might* collect with all that cherry sludge. That is a recipe that's only worth brewing in mass quantities IMO. If I'm wrong and you only needed 6lb. of cherries to 5-6g (like in a 'typical' fruit beer), then I think they went wrong by going with the gallon of juice only. Although I'm sure 1g of juice into 5g of beer makes it pretty-well cherry flavored... Brew it and find out how good their clone is! :) Then let me know so maybe I will decide to brew. :)

As for the list, there is definitely some fine beers on the list... Not sure I'd rank them the way they are ranked, but the numbers from the voters speak!? Generally speaking I think you need to keep in mind that the rankings are definitely effected by the population they used in order to determine the rankings (mostly homebrewing, big-time beer enthusiasts/connoisseurs). I mean, most of the general population drinks BMC, then you have a tier of people who are into the micros/imports, but aren't homebrew, knowledgeable, beer freaks. Most of these people would never (and have never) pay $10 (or more) for a 12 oz. bottle of DFH WW Stout, but it's on the list.

Now for example, I have a bottle of WW Stout in my basement aging (3 years and counting), so the voters were more along the lines of you and I, not your general population or even the 'standard' level beer enthusiasts.

Then again, if that's the case, I don't know how Fat Tire made it to #1 last year... *scratches head* :) (For the record, I don't think Fat Tire is terrible, just not in the 50-100 best beers I've had and DEFINITELY NOT #1)

I am really hoping I can find the Dogfish 90min IPA in Washington. I have heard nothing but good things about this beer, and IPA's are my current favorite style.

McKBrew said:
I am really hoping I can find the Dogfish 90min IPA in Washington. I have heard nothing but good things about this beer, and IPA's are my current favorite style.
I can get it in the grocery stores in Spokane, so I think you should be alright. IIRC you are going to be in the I5 corridor, so much more selection.

McKBrew said:

Well then let me be the first.

It's just a paler version of a hoppy American Barleywine. There's nothing really special about it except perhaps the color.

That was my first impression. I will have another this evening, just to see if there's anything there that I missed.

McKBrew said:
Haggen carries the 60, 90, and 120! Plus they have one helluva beer selection for a grocery store! I think Top-Food also carries it if you'll be close to either of these?

:mug:

Back