My Antonia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyejb

Reaction score
looking to make a beer similar to DFH My Antonia for the summer. Anyone tried this and had this and had thoughts on the hops, grain, yeast.

THanks

Here are the stats on the original version that they brewed in Italy:http://translate.google.com/transla...auto&tl=en&u=http://birradelborgo.it/home.php

We choose the malts: pils pils and expensive. Simple! Sam chooses and simcoe hops two warrior and I choose the third: Saaz, the news' and the traditional together.

Before it starts boiling, Sam hops blend together creating a potion incredibly fragrant. After the mixture aside hopping. A handful of hops every minute for 60 minutes of hops.

Kind of a newbie (<1 year) can anyone translate this:
"Pils Pils and Expensive" for the grain
I'm assuming even amounts of saaz, simcoe, two warrior.
What does continually hopped mean? Hops added every couple of minutes?
what amount would you add if you continually hop?

Is there a good yeast to use with this style of beer?

I assume he is saying it is 100% high quality pilsner malt. I'd use something European, I tend to like Weyermann, but Best is good as well.

Dogfish Head is known for their continual hopping process where hops are added at a slow constant rate (the 60/90/120 Minute IPAs for example). I think it&#8217;s a bit of a gimmick, but you can mimic it by adding 1/12 of the hops every five minutes for the last 60 minutes of the boil. With a pilsner I&#8217;d do a 90 min boil to make sure you don&#8217;t get any DMS. It was a pretty hoppy beer, but I don&#8217;t remember too much &#8220;American&#8221; hop character, maybe 3 oz of Saaz and 1 oz each Simcoe and Warrior? You could calculate out the IBUs to see if it gets you to ~60-70 IBUs.

Any lager strain will do, a Czech/Bohemian strain would be the most authentic. You&#8217;ll need a lot of cells to make a strong lager, probably a 1 gallon starter at a minimum. You should chill the wort to the bottom end of the yeast&#8217;s suggested range before pitching (~45 F) hold it there for a week or two and then allow it to rise slightly to reduce the chance of having diacetyl. Then lager for 6-8 weeks before bottling (at that point some fresh yeast wouldn&#8217;t be a bad idea).

Good luck.

I drank the Italian version last night and it's a lovely, lovely beer. Bittering was relatively mild, but it was hoppy as hell with a real blended hop character. Plenty of American character, though.

Back