ebay beer caps didnt seal, beer ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ottis

Reaction score
I have brewed and bottled three batches of beer using a mix of pry tops and twist off bottles. The first two batches worked great using the caps we had bought from Northern and MidWest brewing supply, this latest batch is Red Lager and was bottled five days ago.
I thought I had found a good deal on ebay on some gold top bottle caps.
Well, I guess you get what you pay for... :mad:
The pry top bottles sealed fine, but about seven out of ten of the screw top bottles, (Budweiser and Yuengling bottles), didn't seal.
I just got thru re-capping the leaking bottles with the last of the good silver caps.
What can I expect from the bottles (about 25) that have been recapped? I found a health food store about an hours drive from where I live that sells Beer brewing supplys, I'm going to go over ASAP and get some new caps (it looks like they get most of their stuff from MidWest) and recap the remaining gold capped twist-offs.

The first two batches worked fine, no leaking bottles with the MidWest and Northern caps.

It's very hard to find pry top bottles in this area, most everyone drinks Bud and bud light....

Do you think the beer is ruined?

Lol, not ruined just flat. As long as the bottles aren't infected, you used sanitizer right, then they should be fine. If it hasn't been but a few days you can just re-cap and let them carb up the rest of the way, if it's been longer I'd pick up some carb drops for the bottles and re-prime.

Oh, and I'd second the "always avoid twist off bottles" you're just asking for flat beer with that one. You can bottle in old soda bottles if you need to.

Iv been grabbing up every pry top bottle I can find, even bought a used bench caper for capping those bottles without the proper shaped top for the wing caper. Their just hard to find around here, I live just a few miles from the middle of nowhere.

I (we) use sanitizer on everything so I'm hoping for the best, and I'll pick up some carb-tabs just in case.

Thanks for the advice! :rockin:

Twist-off bottles needs twist-off caps (and a benchcapper). And twist-off bottles are as good as non-twist off bottles.

Once, I used twist caps to cap non-twist bottles. But I had to I use plastic wrap to get a better seal....my guest didn't like that!:D

caps.jpg

Twist-off bottles needs twist-off caps (and a benchcapper). And twist-off bottles are as good as non-twist off bottles.
So far I haven't seen a crimp on cap that said it was for twist off bottles, and a quick google search didn't turn up anything, so where are you finding them?
I don't see the difference in the picture, is the plastic "gasket" different?

Once, I used twist caps to cap non-twist bottles. But I had to I use plastic wrap to get a better seal....my guest didn't like that!:D
You mean like saran wrap? (sp?)

My LHBS has both kind, but I'm in Canada and beer with twist-off caps are sold everywhere. And yes, it's the plastic gasket that is different. Non-twist off gasket is wider.

Oh and yes I used Saran wrap:D

Back