Castennius House IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowbie

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
12ish
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 day dry hop
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
:)
Batch Size: 5 gal.
Boil Volume 3.5 gal.

5 lbs. Extra Light Dry Extract
2.5 lbs. US 2 row
1 lb. Victory Malt
8 oz. Caramel 20L
1 oz. Columbus (14.2%) for 60 min.
1 oz. Centennial (9.7%) for 20 min.
.5 oz. Centennial (9.7%) and .25 oz. Cascade (6.3%) for 15 min.
.25 oz. each of Centennial (9.7%) and Cascade (6.3%) for 10 min.
.25 oz. each of Centennial (9.7%) and Cascade (6.3%) for 5 min.
.25 oz. Cascade at flameout

I used the DB method and mashed low (I aimed for about 148, and I think I was a bit lower than that) which helped me hit 1.010 FG even with the extract. My measured OG was 1.060, but I don't think I mixed it well after adding top up water, so it was probably a couple of points higher than that. Assuming my measured OG was right, that puts me at about 6.5% ABV, but it was probably closer to 7. Estimated color from beersmith is about 8, but I was probably darker than that because I didn't do late extract additions, but it definitely is not too dark.

The yeast I used was actually from New Holland Brewery, but I have heard that they use Wyeast 1056.

I just opened one of these last night and I was very excited about how well it turned out. It is going to disappear way to quickly and I hope to start another batch soon.

When I brew it again, I will do late extract addition to keep the color lighter. I also might dry hop with another ounce of hops. Probably Cascade but possibly Centennial. I probably won't change the grain bill at all, but I may mess with the hops schedule just a bit to dial in the flavor I like.

This will be the first beer that I enter into a competition and I hope to gain more feedback from that. Unfortunately the competition is going to be a little farther away than I'd like, so the hops flavors might fade a bit, but I'll update to let you know how things go.

Back