First time brewer - question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GamecockWayne

Reaction score
I just brewed my second batch of beer (1.25 Gallons). The whole process went perfect, until the end.

I pitched my yeast and closed up my fermenting bucket. About 2 minutes later, I realized I forgot to top off the bucket with water. So I went ahead and did so.

About 12 hours later, my brew doesn't appear to be fermenting. I know it's still early in the process, but could the top off water added after the yeast affect anything?

It'll be fine. The general rule is to wait at least 72 hours before worrying about your fermentation not starting. To answer your question, no. Unless the topoff water was boiling the chances are very slim that it killed your yeast.

Or if the top off water was too cold,& the wort temp dropped below the yeast's temp range. Otherwise,it just hasen't finished the reproductive phase before visible fermentation begins.

I was just concerned because the first time I made a 1.25 gallon kit, it started fermenting slowly within the first 12 hours.

>>Or if the top off water was too cold,& the wort temp dropped below the yeast's temp range.

But wouldn't the water eventually warm up again and the yeast would start up again? Wouldn't this in effect set the yeast dormant but it wouldn't be permanent; just a setback of a few hours, which perhaps, acounts for the difference in fermnting time?

Of course, I'm an absolute novice so I don't know; I'm just speculating.

I'm not sure about that. I just followed the instructions with my kit.

This may be a no no, but I popped the top off of my bucket briefly. Everything was foamed up. Is this a good sign?

Not as long as you didn't do anything to blow off the layer of co2 covering the beer. Co2 is a heavier gas than o2.

You should be fine, but generally you don't want to disturb the beer or expose it to anything like oxygen or contamination. If you want to see it, ferment in something clear...

If it foamed up (krausen), then it is fermenting. Many buckets don't seal well, so your CO2 is likely leaking around the rim. Of my 4 buckets, one lid does this. I've never been able to tell a difference in the finished product.

Back