Could this be used to cool wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone was just talking about this in the "best single addition to your brew day" thread.

They claimed it works extremely well for the <90* temps.

If you've worked with it and you seem to think it works as advertised, it should be fine. It actually might help you whirlpool the wort as well and minimize trub transfer.

Why not save some money and just freeze a couple used 2 liter soda bottles? Float them in a sanitizer for a couple minutes, and plop them in the wort. Probably best to wait until the wort is below boiling - maybe 150-160F or so, just so the plastic doesn't melt.

evrose said:
Why not save some money and just freeze a couple used 2 liter soda bottles? Float them in a sanitizer for a couple minutes, and plop them in the wort. Probably best to wait until the wort is below boiling - maybe 150-160F or so, just so the plastic doesn't melt.

That seems so stupidly logical, bit ive never thought of it

That seems so stupidly logical, bit ive never thought of it

Yeah, no kidding. I hadn't thought of it until I looked at this rapi-cool thing, which looks a lot like a 2 liter bottle with a handle.

I can't think of a good reason why this wouldn't work pretty well.

Im just wondering on width, if it could be chucked into my drill and fit between the coils of my ic, that could help out a lot when its stupid hot down here.

Im just wondering on width, if it could be chucked into my drill and fit between the coils of my ic, that could help out a lot when its stupid hot down here.

There about as wide as a 2l pop bottle but they are longer. i one i used was about 3 ft

Back