Archeology...of a a sort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc9eci

Reaction score
I'm brewing again, after about an 11 year absence. I stopped about the time our last daughter was born. With my recent renewed interest, I was in the basement looking for the lid to my keg. I had this feeling that it might be under the stairs. Much to my surprise, once I started moving things about, I uncovered a laundry basket covered in dust and filled with brown bottles.

Full brown bottles. I was quite pleased as I have a batch that will need to be bottled around the end of next week. I held one up to the light and was amazed at how clear the liquid inside was. I thought I'd have a little fun and brought it upstairs and rinsed the bottle off. Called my wife over to witness it as I pried the cap off. It let out a 'pssst.' Wow, still carbonated! So I gave it the sniff test...didn't smell bad. Only one thing left to do at this point...taste it. Surprisingly it was quite good. This was an attempt at making apple cider. Pretty much the same approach that EdWorts Apfelwein takes. I don't recall how much or what kind of sugar or yeast I used any more. I went and got a few more bottles out and have cleaned them off and put them in the fridge to cool down. I think I'll set up the camera tomorrow and video record an opening and pouring.

Nice find! I found a few bottles of porter in the basement a few months back that were about 12 years old. Unfortunately they didn't age as well as yours. It tasted like Prunes and Harvey's Bristol Cream.

Man I can't wait to have been brewing long enough for this kind of stuff to happen to me.

I have some 10 year old Dandilion Wine that needs bottled. After it finished it had little fibers floating around that I always intended to filter out, forgot about it and recently 'found' it and all the fibers have settled. I tasted and it's good! Time to bottle! Too bad it's only 1 gallon.

10yrcider.jpg

I'll do battle with the video files later.

Back