Odd smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ever

Reaction score
Have an odd smell coming from my fermenter. This is my first time using hops so I'm not sure if it is an infection or just the natural process. It is sort of a very light sulfur/egg smell mixed with beer, which has me very worried. Yeast Strain was White Labs Hefewiesen VI WLP380. I pitched it Friday night and it was probably a bit warmer than it should have been. Any thoughts?

:confused:

What do you mean its your first time using hops? Have you been making hop-free beer?

Are you fermenting in a pale or carboy? You're not dryhopping in the primary are you?

And how hot is it where the fermenter is?

Rook said:
What do you mean its your first time using hops? Have you been making hop-free beer?

Are you fermenting in a pale or carboy? You're not dryhopping in the primary are you?

And how hot is it where the fermenter is?

The other time was a kit. This is the first time I have used a recipe.

Fermenting in a pale and I am not dry hoping in the primary. The beer had a very pungent hop smell when I finished boiling the wort.

It's probably 74 where the fermenter is.

Let it be for a few days. The sulphur may be the yeast working hard. It is not the hops, though. I would 3 more days then take a hydro reading as well as a sample. It should taste like beer by then. If it smells like vinegar that is a worse symptom. ...Here is some reading by Palmer.

Kayos said:
Let it be for a few days. The sulphur may be the yeast working hard. It is not the hops, though. I would 3 more days then take a hydro reading as well as a sample. It should taste like beer by then. If it smells like vinegar that is a worse symptom. ...Here is some reading by Palmer.

Thanks. Yeah, that is the plan, I suppose.

When I take the hydrometer reading, am I looking for normal fermentation gravity? Or can the hydrometer tell me whether there was an infection by being too high or low?

Thanks again.

It is more for a taste sample than anything. Whether it is done or not fermenting, it will taste good or bad. Then you'll know for sure. My bet? 90% you are fine.

Kayos said:
It is more for a taste sample than anything. Whether it is done or not fermenting, it will taste good or bad. Then you'll know for sure. My bet? 90% you are fine.

Very reassuring. Thanks. :mug:

The smell is the nature of the beast with the 380 that you are using, sulfur and bananas, nothing to worry about

Well, it fermented on to about 1.012 which is where it needs to be.

Tastes alright, but there is an Astringent aftertaste that is not over powering, but is present enough to make drinking it unpleasant. I did let the water get a little a little too hot when steeping the grains, so maybe that is the source of the flavor. Will that go away over time?

Probably. All tastes will mellow and blend with time. Did you boil the grains? Did you squeeze the grain bag?

Kayos said:
Probably. All tastes will mellow and blend with time. Did you boil the grains? Did you squeeze the grain bag?

Grains hit 180 went I was fighting with the dog.

...and yeah, I squeezed the bag. I didn't know. :(

seefresh said:
Hefe yeast + 74F fermentation = whole house smelling like a sulphur/clove/banana milkshake.

Which in turn equals disgruntled SWMBO (unless she's a beer lovin' girl).

Ever said:
Grains hit 180 went I was fighting with the dog.

...and yeah, I squeezed the bag. I didn't know. :(

180 is a little hot, but not too bad. Listen..let me be frank (even though I am Kayos)...........you need to try and chill a little bit. This thing will take time and you will give yourself a heart attack with all this worring. I know each batch is precious when you can only do one every month or two, but worrying has never, ever helped in anything. I made a terrible beer my first batch (Mr. Beer) and it has been sitting for 6 months now. Just cracked one open tonight, and all the bad flavors are gone. If you don't end up liking the way this one tastes, think of all you've learned. Might as well order up some ingredients for the next batch so you can be excited for that one instead of worrying about the one in the fermenter.

Remember....it is about having fun. I really didn't want to seem like I am coming down on you for your posts at all....I did the same thing when I first started. Just wanted you to know I have been in your shoes.....and not that long ago.

Kayos said:
180 is a little hot, but not too bad. Listen..let me be frank (even though I am Kayos)...........you need to try and chill a little bit. This thing will take time and you will give yourself a heart attack with all this worring. I know each batch is precious when you can only do one every month or two, but worrying has never, ever helped in anything. I made a terrible beer my first batch (Mr. Beer) and it has been sitting for 6 months now. Just cracked one open tonight, and all the bad flavors are gone. If you don't end up liking the way this one tastes, think of all you've learned. Might as well order up some ingredients for the next batch so you can be excited for that one instead of worrying about the one in the fermenter.

Remember....it is about having fun. I really didn't want to seem like I am coming down on you for your posts at all....I did the same thing when I first started. Just wanted you to know I have been in your shoes.....and not that long ago.

Hm, alrighty.

It's supposed to taste bad right now.

Next week, it'll be a little better. The more weeks you wait, the better it'll taste.

Soon you'll be able to judge how good it'll be from how bad it is now.

Back