The Squeasel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wy1272
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 62 °F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 40 °F
Tasting Notes
Starts with subtle malt and fruit, then transitioning to a dry, pie-crusty finish.
Alright guys, it's another proven recipe from the KingBrianI brewhouse. And this incredible Cream Ale is extremely versatile. Its the perfect thirst-quencher for those hot summer days, but is equally at home being enjoyed on a crisp Autumn day watching football. It's non-threatening color doesn't intimidate the BMC crowd, but it packs enough flavor for most beer nerds (I say most because we all know that guy who isn't happy with a beer unless it is 8+%ABV and over 100 IBUS!). Anyway, give this beer a try if you're looking for a well-rounded beer that appeals to a wide audience, and can be taken from grain to glass in 3 weeks.

Recipe

6 lbs. Belgian Pils Malt
2 lbs. Flaked Corn
1 lb. Vienna Malt
0.25 lbs. Acid Malt*
(Rice Hulls) (optional)

0.75 oz. Fuggles at 60 min
0.5 oz. Styrian Goldings at 30 min

Wyeast 1272

*I needed 0.25 lbs. of acid malt to bring my mash pH into the correct range. You may need more or less, based on your water. Use http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/ to help you figure out how much you need. I also recommend keeping the sulfate and chloride levels as low as possible for this beer while getting the calcium to at least 50 ppm.

Mash at 150 °F for 60 minutes.

Boil for 60 minutes, cool to 62 °F, aerate, then pitch yeast. I let it ferment for a week at 62 °F, then crash cool to 40 °F for another week before kegging. After about a week in the keg, it should be carbed and ready to drink.

Note: This is a beer that can really benefit aesthetically from being crystal clear, so use kettle finings like whirlfloc, cool your wort as quickly as possible, and crash cool the fermenter if you can.

What's it taste like, Brian? Well, let me tell you. Awesome. And that's all the description it really needs, but I'll break it down a little. It's a crisp, refreshing beer, but with a surprisingly full mouthfeel. There are subtle fruity esters and sweet bready malt on the nose that show up again on the palate. The flavor quickly transitions to a dry, biscuity finish very reminiscent of toasty pie crust. A crispness on the palate and sprightly carbonation keep things fresh and leave you needing another sip. The sunny golden color and shining white head only enhance the desire for another taste. Like I said, Awesome.

oooooh, that sounds so good.

I'll have to give it a try, especially when we have non-craft beer drinking guests over. Thanks for the recipe!

(Where does "the squeasel" come from?)

(Where does "the squeasel" come from?)

Haha, there was an episode of "No Reservations" where Anthony was in Vietnam or something. They stopped at some little shack on the side of the road and he was served a dish with some kind of meat. When he asked the translator what kind of meat it was, the translator responded with "squeasel". I found that really funny for some reason and have liked the word ever since.

Haha, there was an episode of "No Reservations" where Anthony was in Vietnam or something. They stopped at some little shack on the side of the road and he was served a dish with some kind of meat. When he asked the translator what kind of meat it was, the translator responded with "squeasel". I found that really funny for some reason and have liked the word ever since.

Great- I love that. I may be using that word to describe our wild game meals to unsuspecting friends. :rockin:

I see Pilsner malt, and 60 min boil. Any dms with the shorter boil? Just asking because I am going to make this in a couple days.

No dms to speak of when I make this beer on my system. You could always bump it up to a 90 min boil if it'd make you more comfortable.

Back