adding hops to fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jroiv

Reaction score
I some how forgot to add my last addition of hops during my boil can i add them straight to the fermenter?

Depending on how long they were supposed to boil for, you probably won't get the same result. If they were slated for <5 minutes (better if flame-out) then you'll get some of the contribution, but it will fade faster.

Add the hops once fermentation is complete, and still on the yeast cake. So after X weeks (depending on what you're brewing, the OG, etc. that could be anything from 2-12 weeks) add the hops, and taste after a week. If not where you wanted it, taste again a couple of days later.

Most people dry hop for 5-14 days. It all depends on the brew, hops, and what you're going after...

so add the hops when it is done fermenting for a couple days be for i bottle?

so add the hops when it is done fermenting for a couple days be for i bottle?

I usually let the hops sit in the fermenter for at least a week, two if I don't get around to doing anything with it. Any longer than two weeks and you can start to get grassy flavors from the hops, although I think some varieties are worse at that than others. Of course you can go shorter than a week if you want less of the hop aroma, but who wants that :cross:.

You'll want to check and make sure that fermentation is completely done and you've had the same gravity for a few days. Otherwise, CO2 produced by the fermentation will remove some of the tasty hop aromas that you want to stick around in your beer.

My first dry hopped batch had them in primary for about 6 days... That was after 3 weeks on the yeast, so fermentation was complete (confirmed it of course)... Depending on how that batch tastes, I might adjust how long I dry hop for in the future.

Just be sure to pick hops that you really like. I used a mix EKG and UK Fuggles in my first dry hop... Smell was unreal (in an unearthly great way)... I can barely wait to actually drink one of that batch... :rockin:

I used Kent Goldings & Willamette in my Summer Pale ale,amber/golden color,earthy,fruity aroma with earthy,fruity,lemon grass,spice under that. Pretty good but my recipe still needs 2 more tweaks to make it better.
I'm seeing that with the water we have around here,(even the spring water),is a little on the low side for accentuating hop bitterness. So I may have to use 1.5oz of each next time. Making it 1.5oz KG at 15mins,1.5oz Willamette at 10 mins. Then maybe dry hop with an ounce of each for 10-14 days,rather than seven. IMHO,it's easier that way,rather playing Russian Roulette with my brewing water trying to figure it out that way.
That'll be good in the long run,but for now,more hops!!

Back