Oatmeal Stout Milk Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinkinSurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Windsor
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
~17
Color
~35 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
11 @ 70
Tasting Notes
Nearly opaque with a creamy tan head. Subtly sweet, toasted malts come through, crisp
M.O. Stout (Milk Oatmeal Stout)

Light Dry Malt Extract – 4.5 lbs
Black Patent – 8 oz
Chocolate Malt – 12 oz
CARAPILS – 8 oz
Lactose – 1 lb
Oats, Flaked – 1 lb
Fuggle Pellet Hops – 1 oz (60 min)
Fuggle Pellet Hops - 1 oz (5 min)
Windsor Yeast
Irish Moss - 1 tsp

Steep oats for 15 minutes at 115 F.
Bring temp up to 155.
Steep grains and oats for 45 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Add malt extract.
Bring to boil.
Add bittering hops with 60 minutes remaining.
Add 1 tsp Irish Moss and 1 lb lactose at with 15 min remaining.
Add aroma hops with 5 minutes remaining.

Very delicious sessionable stout. Could be (and has been) described as a toastier, darker, slightly sweet, and thicker likeness of Newcastle. In no way is it Newcastle but it shares a similar drinkability for being so dark. My friends and neighbors request it constantly.

This brew has a quick turn around time and is best young. It has a tendancy to disappear fast. You don't need the last addition of hops if you don't want it as it doesn't contribute much to the beer. I enjoy this recipe very much and do variations of it pretty frequently. Let me know if you have any questions and be sure to tell me how it goes!

Per the advice from owner of my LHBS, I am going to cut the oats to 1/2 lb as to not oversweeten it. I'll hopefully brew sometime this weekend, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Brewing this today, looking forward to it. Sort of on an extract kick after a bunch of partial mashes. Thanks for the recipe!

So far so good! I came in with a higher gravity, about 1.064, not that I mind. I used a little more Black Patent just because I had about 12 oz sitting around to use up.

Also, the LHBS didn't have Windsor yeast, but suggested an alternative for a Milk Stout, a limited release Wyeast, 1469 West Yorkshire Ale. I tried a couple beers with the 1469 while I was there and they were quite good.

Bubbling away to be sure, looking forward to it :)

Cheers!

How is it coming along planetfour and diverpat? That Wyeast 1469 sounds like it will be awesome in it and the extra black patent should do it nothing but good! Diver, what did your AG recipe look like? It is always fun to see how people modify recipes you post to get good ideas.

Here is what I came up with. I just converted the DME over to 7.5lbs of 2-row via Beersmiths conversion feature. It was my first AG batch, second batch ever. I ended up with 82% brewhouse eff, so my OG was a bit high, I planned on 75%. After that all my numbers worked out great. I switched up the yeast because I'm familiar with dry yeast at this point in brewing career. I'm going to take some of this batch and add some Jamesons thats been soaking in vanilla beans at bottling, to make a car bomb beer. I'm really stoked to see how this one turns out!

Type: All Grain
Date: 12/18/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.97 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (8.5 Gal) and Igloo Cooler (5 Gal)

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM) Grain 66.64 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.88 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.68 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.46 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.45 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.20 %] (60 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.88 %
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Final batch sparge
163632_1542151589446_1104634471_31269369_6370482_n.jpg

Oxygenating using a 100% O2 scuba deco bottle
47638_1542153789501_1104634471_31269374_1514468_n.jpg

Well, with quite a bit of holiday travel and busy-work, in addition to a well padded pipeline, I had the luxury of letting this one sit in primary. It's down to 1.028 from 1.066, so I'll be bottling tomorrow most likely.

A bit higher than I would have hoped for, I may have not grown my starter enough. I gave it one last swirl, and we'll see how it goes. Not that its horrible, a 5%'er is just fine by me as I bottled a 10%'er yesterday! Smells fantastic and will update!

I'm actually drinking this right now. It is an excellent beer! It has not even reached it's 3rd week in bottles yet and it's already half way gone. I am now being told by friends and family that they want this for Christmas.

This will be my first repeat recipe which I'll brew at the end of the month.

What I'm trying to say is I highly recommend this if you like sweet stouts!

I've got a similar batch in the primary. The short of it is I combined some wheat in there as well. Going for the smooth/sweet stout. If it turns out well I'll post the variation.

M.O. Stout (Milk Oatmeal Stout)

Light Dry Malt Extract – 4.5 lbs
Black Patent – 8 oz
Chocolate Malt – 12 oz
CARAPILS – 8 oz
Lactose – 1 lb
Oats, Flaked – 1 lb
Windsor Yeast
Irish Moss - 1 tsp

Steep oats for 15 minutes at 115 F.
Bring temp up to 155.
Steep grains and oats for 45 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Add malt extract.
Bring to boil.
Add bittering hops with 60 minutes remaining.
Add 1 tsp Irish Moss and 1 lb lactose at with 15 min remaining.
Add aroma hops with 5 minutes remaining.

Very delicious sessionable stout. Could be (and has been) described as a toastier, darker, slightly sweet, and thicker likeness of Newcastle. In no way is it Newcastle but it shares a similar drinkability for being so dark. My friends and neighbors request it constantly.

When does the pound of lactose get used?

I'll check my beersmith when I get home, but I know I added 1 lb wheat LME and either white or flaked wheat @ .5 lb, I will really have to look. I am almost at 2 weeks in the primary, but I was out of town this weekend and like an idiot dropped the thermostat so the ferment stopped, had to stir and roust as I was at 1.030 but I think its going again. I also added 2 whole vanilla beans split, and scraped. Soaked them in 1/2 cup vanilla smirnoff for a week and added them. When I checked the hydro earlier I took a small sample and this is going to be simply awesome, the flavors are all balanced perfectly with a silky smooth mouthfeel.

I had some extra crystal malts as well that I threw in there.
1 lb 60L Crystal, 1lb flaked wheat, .5lb Crystal Malt 40L
The rest is pretty similar. I was trying to combine a few favorites with wheat that I had extra of, and some caramel malts. After the stir, my airlock has regular bubbling, so I'm giving it atleast 1 more week before bottling.

Light Dry Malt Extract – 4.0 lbs
Black Patent – 8 oz
Chocolate Malt – 12 oz
CARAPILS – 8 oz
Lactose – 1 lb
Oats, Flaked – .5 lb
Windsor Yeast
Irish Moss - 1 tsp
OG 1.044
This is what I just brewed last night, smells good and the yeast is taking off like crazy and it's not even 12 hrs later. Temp is at 68F.:ban:
We'll see how this turns out!
I'll keep you posted.

Took a reading today Brewed on Friday at 1.044 now down to 1.021 on Monday. Dropping pretty good won't be as sweet that's for sure. Looks like Friday i'm going to put it into a secondary carboy, sitting in a pale now. Thinking i should of stuck with the 1lbs of oats. Live and learn. Should be a good flavor as I toasted them in the oven before I started.

Took a taste tonight, still cloudy but tasting very good, reminds me of Sam Addams cream stout. May rack to secondary to clear it up. Carmel in color.

Currently in the 20th minute of boiling. Will check in with OG and all that. Looks like a great recipe

OK cg14 any mods to the recipe that you found helpful let me know. I still think a full pound of the oats will make it perfect and maybe a little less on the chocolate. As the chocolate comes out a lot. All in all it is very good:). These mods would be maybe just my taste preference.

I bottled this yesterday after 34 days in the primary. The OG was 1.052 and the FG 1.017. The FG was a bit higher than I anticipated. However, it smelled great and had a nice roasted taste.

I'll post a pic in a couple of weeks when its time to pop one open!

I made a small batch of this a while ago and brought it to a party last week. Everyone loved it. Really good and easy recipe; my first beer brew (been doing cider up to this point). I've got a 5gal batch in the works, and I plan to have this brew around pretty regularly.:mug:

Just brewed up a batch of this my wife keep telling me it smelled great. I have to let everyone know how it's doing and the end product when I get it.

I'll be brewing this tonight. Second brew ever, first that wasn't from a kit. Thanks for sharing and I'll let you know how it goes!

Brewed an all grain version of this. Currently in week 5 in a carboy untill I get time to bottle and keg. Hoping to enter it into comp. This summer.

After a week in the keg I put this on tap and it was gone in three days. All my friends and family said it was the best dark beer they have ever had. Only thing I did different was add 3 or 4 vanilla beans to secondary. Thanks for the recipe.

Back