E-Kettle Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodles44x2

Reaction score
I was looking at buying a nice 5mm sandwiched bottom kettle to turn into an e-kettle. Then I found the cheap 50qt SS kettle from China. The seller informed me that it does not have a thicker bottom. I was bummed at first, but then I realized that the thicker bottom is for heat dissipation from a burner. Since I am not using a burner, scorching and other nasties from thin bottoms should not be an issue since my heat will be coming from the element. Is my thinking correct in that a thin bottom will not be an issue since this will be an e-kettle?

That is true. You won't have to worry about heat-transfer since the element will be submerged in the liquid.

As long as you're fine with a cheaper pot then that's all that matters. Heating wise it will be fine, but it won't be as blingy/durable. I love teh shiny..

The seller said it had a 1mm thickness so it isnt any different than the other pots I was looking at. I guess the concern will be the handles...

Back