how long does dry yeast last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyt471

Reaction score
So I got a Midwest recipe kit in the mail. I took the yeast out and stuck it in the refrigerator. Then, a week later, I found that they had put another yeast packet in the kit (apparently by mistake)...it was a Safale US-04 packet. I quickly put the yeast in the fridge, but can yeast survive that long?

I store my dry yeast in the fridge, but it doesn't need to be stored in the fridge. My LHBS sells it off the shelf. I've used two year old yeast that sat at room temp and it worked just fine.

My LHBS sells it off the shelf too. So I keep my Notty on my shelf as well. Works just fine.

Unless, of course, you're going to keep it for a year or so like that. Then you'll just have to use it for yeast nutrients in the boil.

Hey y'all. It's been a very long time since the last post. I just used a 13 year old EC-1118 package in a batch of cider and it's going weak, but going. I rehydrated it with some sugar. Lolz.

Hey y'all. It's been a very long time since the last post. I just used a 13 year old EC-1118 package in a batch of cider and it's going weak, but going. I rehydrated it with some sugar. Lolz.
This deserves more recognition, fair play!

Back