My $50 freezer needs a small repair - suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouza

Reaction score
Well, I landed a nice little chest freezer for temperature control for $50 on craigslist. Unfortunately, it does have a crack in the molded plastic lining (on the top door). I am wondering what would be the best way to repair this.
The gash runs most of the length of the front of the door liner and wraps a corner, continuing on down the side of the liner.
Any suggestions?

freezer1.jpg

freezer2.jpg

Thanks!

I'd say silicone caulk ought to do the trick. just try be sure not to have lumps along the edge as it may impair the seal.

:tank:

Thanks devaspawn.
That was my original thought. Unfortunately, this thing is about .25" wide... and gets closer to .5" in a couple of spots. I didn't think that typical silicone would hold this thing together real well... perhaps if I backfill it for a little structure.
Any other suggestions?

Check the manufacturers parts web for a replacement. It's a little hard to see in the picture but it looks like the seal was moulded to the plastic cover. Usually that is not the case and a replacement seal can be had for around $20.

I have replaced seals on a couple fridges this way.

Hope it helps.

So basically the edge of the plastic lid liner cracked most of the way around, I assume the part with the screws is still under the edge of the seal. You could probably get a replacement part or alternatively you could replace that liner with shower board like some people do with the door of the little dorm fridge to make room for kegs inside. If it is older and has fiberglass insulation in the lid I would assume that moisture got up in there during it's previous life and I would replace it. If it is foam insulation I don't think it will be a problem.

So basically the edge of the plastic lid liner cracked most of the way around...

Exactly.
The seal could be replaced but is in pretty good shape.

Great Ideas! I will look into the shower board and replacement parts.
Would a plexiglass work?

That insulation IS fiberglass and will need replacement. I'm sure it has seen its share of moisture.

Question on the shower board. I thought about doing that on my fridge, but the shelf part has this sort of "ridge" on it that matches up with a groove in the seal. If I use a piece of shower board that's smooth, It doesn't look like it will seal correctly. Anyone else ran into this?

Use silicone, it will stick them together and make a nice seal anywhere it doesn't sit right. Plexiglass would work. Try replacing the insulation with some 1" foam board.

Back