Blueberries in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I added about 8 lbs fresh pureed blueberries to my secondary fermenter 10 days ago. At first, the berries sank to the bottom. After a day or two, the berries rose to the top of the carboy. They have been there ever since. I never added berries to a beer but I just assumed that they would settle on the bottom.

Should I wait for them to settle(will they?) or just siphon from underneath the berries into my bottling bucket?

I added about 8 lbs fresh pureed blueberries to my secondary fermenter 10 days ago. At first, the berries sank to the bottom. After a day or two, the berries rose to the top of the carboy. They have been there ever since. I never added berries to a beer but I just assumed that they would settle on the bottom.

Should I wait for them to settle(will they?) or just siphon from underneath the berries into my bottling bucket?

Unless I'm mistaken, they have risen to the top of the beer because their buoyancy has increased due to re-hydrating with the beer. It would take a looooong time for them to re-sink, as they will remain buoyant in the beer for as long as the cells can keep liquid absorbed.

You'll be fine by siphoning from underneath.

Latest posts

Back