Opinion about Mini keg/draft system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wulfman

Reaction score
I've recently acquired an "Icycold draft beer and beverage dispenser" very cheap. I'm wondering how ppl who have used this style of system feel about them. I know a kegerator is the best... but just curious. This is the same size of those small heineken and new castle mini kegs.

I bought 4 5L minikegs and a tap-a-draft system and I have so far used them for 1 batch. It gets pretty annoying having to set a new CO2 bullet every time you change over. But there's a guy on eBay who makes conversion kits so you can add a legit tap to the minikegs.

Thank you for the info. I was reading about this unit and it does not need co2 cartridges. It has an internal pump which dispenses the beer.. hmm I'm wondering about freshness tho and longetivity of beer.. I'm thinking of adding a small inline filter to the beer to help with any contaminents... but not sure about freshness.. o well, I guess ill give it a try.. ill only waste a gallon(ill still drink it tho:)... (that beer is a display, not from dispenser yet)

ForumRunner_20120414_003741.jpg

I had 2 of those non CO2 dispensers. You HAVE to drink the beer within a week. Both broke (compressor) within 3 weeks. I bought a keg system and haven't looked back

One of my brew buddies has been refilling and reusing those heineken/coors/new castle kegs for homebrew successfully. I had one of those dispenser units in my basement and gave it to him but I'm not sure if he ever got it to work or not. I can send him a PM.

Thanks Lazycat, ill be on the look out.. I actually have a full kegging system but its in storage right now.. I don't have room in my apt for all that stuff.. that's why I'm looking for alternatives.. but that's the info I needed.. ill be drinking it fast!

Your welcome Wulf. A buddy of mine has a bar and all his draft is dispensed with air. He goes through draft so fast the air doesn't spoil it, no need for CO2. If you can kick it in a weekend this unit will satisfy your needs...

Final product just poured!! Carbonated in the keg for lil over a week. The head and lacing need some work but superb! Thanks for the help ppl!

ForumRunner_20120601_185107.jpg

Back