Carbonation issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinoman

Reaction score
I;m still new at this brewing thing and really love it, but learning as I go. I have been running into some carbonation issues. My first batch, a pilsner all malt, 5 days in primary, 18 days in secondary, added 5 oz priming sugar, mixed with a little water. Fourteen days later first sample good taste and great carbonation, very happy. Ok second batch, a coffee stout porter, a malt extract with grain. 20 days in primary ( troubles getting SG down), 16 days in secondary, bottled with 5 oz cane sugar mixed with a little water. 2 weeks later, all excited first sample was a disappointment, very little carbonation. I uncapped all 36 bottles added 1 tsp sugar and ½ tsp yeast starter. 2 weeks later WOW very good, great carb , very happy. Ok now third batch, a nut brown ale, malt extract with grain. 14 days in primary, and 14 days in secondary. Bottled with 5 oz cane sugar mixed with water. 14 days later first sample, another disappointment, very little carb. All three of these batches was kept in a room between 65 to 75 degrees. Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong. I thought it might be the cane sugar , but that is what I use to recarbonate the stout porter and it worked good the second time. I’m open for suggestions. Thanks

They just need a little more time, especially if the temps are below 70*.

+1 to the above. You should wait a mininum of 3 weeks to determine carbination and that is the bare mininum. There are too many variables to nail an extact time. Time is your friend here.

Use a carbonation calculator like this. The temperature of the beer at the time of bottling matters because that determines how much CO2 is already in solution. If you do this and accurately weigh your sugar, a good carbonation is virtually guaranteed... in 3 weeks time.

Back