I ordered this last night!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeretheBrews

Reaction score
Here is what I ordered to get started with!

Honey Porter w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast
Honey Porter. The honey in this recipe ferments smoothly and crisply, creating a homebrew perfect for those just starting to appreciate darker beer. A great change of pace for dark beer fans. Our ingredients for this recipe include 6 pounds of Dark malt extract, 2 pounds of Minnesota Clover Honey, 1 pound of specialty grains, 2 ounces of hops, yeast, priming sugar and a grain bag. Honey Porter w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast

Brewing Starter Kit
Brewing Starter Kit: This is our most popular brewing equipment kit. This equipment kit provides the essential equipment for the aspiring brewer who wants to make the best beer they can from the start. This is accomplished through two-stage fermentation. Primary fermentation is the first step. During this 5-7 day process, most of the fermentation takes place and by the end of this period most of the particles and solids will settle to the bottom. The second step is transferring the beer in to the secondary fermenter. (7-21 days) Separating the beer from the sediment will result in clearer beer and improve the characteristics of the beer. Beer can condition and clarify in the secondary fermenter for weeks or months depending on the style and strength of the beer. Transferring the beer in to a 5 gallon glass carboy or better bottle will reduce oxidation of the beer. This kit is highly recommended if you intend to brew any high alcohol or lager beers. Brewing Starter Equipment Kit List: Instructional Homebrewing Video or DVD • 71 page instructional book • 5 Gallon Glass Carboy • 6.5 Gallon Plastic Fermenter with Lid 6.5 Gallon Bottling Bucket with Spigot • 8 Oz. of Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser • Drilled Universal Carboy Bung Airlock (Keeps air out of the fermenter) • Hydrometer (Determines alcohol content) • Bottle Brush • Carboy Brush • Twin Lever Red Baron Bottle Capper • Bottle Caps • Liquid Crystal Thermometer • Bottle Filler • Fermtech AutoSiphon upgrade • Siphon Tubing • shutoff clamp

And the bottles. I need to pickup a kettle here in a few days.. thoughts suggestions?

If you will be working on a stove inside, buy a 30 quart pot. This is big enough for doing partial boil extract, steeping specialty grains and even doing mini-mashes by just adding a really big grain bag. At the same time, it isn't too big to work with while sitting on a stove.

I am just going to be doign extract kits for awhile. I can always upgrade. I dont wnat to dump that much money in at first you know? But we will see lol.

david_42 said:
If you will be working on a stove inside, buy a 30 quart pot.

20 quart (5 gallon) is big enough for extract brewing w/ partial volume boils. That's what I have, and I usually boil 3.5 gallons. If I recall correctly, there is a significant price jump in SS kettle prices as soon as you go beyond the 5 gallon mark, so a 7.5 gallon kettle like you suggest will be SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive.

yea, thats why im going to go with a 4 or 5 gallon pot. Can u use USED pots from a restaurant supply? Will this effect the flavor ETC?

WeretheBrews said:
I am just going to be doign extract kits for awhile. I can always upgrade. I dont wnat to dump that much money in at first you know? But we will see lol.

True, but you might as well plan for the future. Trust us, you'll like it. It's a way of life.

You'll need to buy a pot, so get a good size one and never worry about buying another one. I have a 22 qt that works wonders for Partial Extract brewing and only cost $45. (It also makes a mean chili for 12.)

After one or two all-extract recipes, you'll be itching to use some grains. You don't have to go all grain, but you can throw a pound or two of grain in some warm water prior to boiling your extract and make a much better beer.

Honey Porter w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast
Honey Porter. The honey in this recipe ferments smoothly and crisply, creating a homebrew perfect for those just starting to appreciate darker beer. A great change of pace for dark beer fans. Our ingredients for this recipe include 6 pounds of Dark malt extract, 2 pounds of Minnesota Clover Honey, 1 pound of specialty grains, 2 ounces of hops, yeast, priming sugar and a grain bag. Honey Porter w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast

Is this considered an ALL extract kit? It does come with hops, and other specialty grains. So I will technically have a little control over this correct? This is totally different from canned kits correct?

Looks like a good setup! Enjoy the hobby and make sure to get the sanitazition procedure down ASAP.

Question for others (semi-hijack):
I bought a bigger pot for brewing but it is only 12 quart and I do 2 gallon boil usually. Is there much to be gained from doing a larger boil, aside from hop utilization?

beerlover84 said:
Is there much to be gained from doing a larger boil, aside from hop utilization?

Yes. When you boil such small amounts, the sugars in your wort carmelize to a greater degree . . . .resulting in a much darker beer than you have planned on or that would be appropriate for the given style. If your beer's color matters to you, then you would benefit from larger boils by having more control over the final color of your beer.

Go to Walmart and get yourself a 5.5 gallon stainless steel pot for 40 bucks. (tramontina 22 qt.) Its a really good pot that has a nice sandwiched bum and a sweet glass lid. The bottom has aluminum and copper in between stainless which makes for even and efficient heating.

Good luck!

p.s. You may not WANT to but you WILL be dumping Lots of money from now until eternity...(its all worth it though, sort of, i guess)

sonvolt said:
When you boil such small amounts, the sugars in your wort carmelize to a greater degree . . . .resulting in a much darker beer than you have planned on or that would be appropriate for the given style. If your beer's color matters to you, then you would benefit from larger boils by having more control over the final color of your beer.
...thus one of my reasons for "late brewing"...:D

Cheesefood said:
You'll need to buy a pot, so get a good size one and never worry about buying another one. I have a 22 qt that works wonders for Partial Extract brewing and only cost $45. (It also makes a mean chili for 12.)

You use your beer pot for things other than beer?!?!?!
Shame on you.........

I recently learned the hard way to buy good quality equipment from the start. I bought a cheapie ($18, I think) enameled steel pot from Wal-Mart figuring it would be good enough... well, then I went and clusily dropped it on the floor with about 2 gallons of Star San in it, and a big corner of the enamel spalled off on the inside rendering it a huge taste hazard for boiling wort in. This after having tossed the receipt...
Got a $50 gift card to Wal-Mart and went directly to purchase the 22 qt Tramontina Stainless Steel pot previously mentioned for about $44. Wal-Mart was the only place I could locate a 20+ quart pot, which I felt was odd, but we don't have any restaurant supply stores in the area.
So anyways, even if it seems a little bit spendy, go for good equipment in the first place, and you won't be sorry.

Back