Need recipe ideas for mesquite mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soontobepcv

Reaction score
Because it's easily available and very reasonably priced for a 3-lb. container at my local Trader Joe's... what flavors would do will with mesquite?

I've never tried Mesquite honey but a quick search describes it:

"The white flowers produce a light honey of delicate flavor"

If you can see through the container and it is indeed light colored then it's probably light flavored as well and would go well with anything. Remember that varietal honey doesn't taste like the plant or the fruit from which it comes but it does carry some of the aroma of the flowering blossoms.

Make a show mead with your mesquite honey...then "oak" it with Mesquite chips....I doubt it's going to be good...Misquite wood is usually a smoking wood, and not known for it's raw flavor. You could char a bit of it, but a LITTLE will go A LONG way!

Try a sack mead, mesquite honey has a wonderful & distinctive flavor. If you're not a fan of sweet styles, try a medium show mead. If you want to add other flavors, maybe a little lime zest in secondary. I know jelly is made from mesquite beans, and it's tasty. You might try adding some mesquite beans to your mead for a mesquite melomel. Here is a mesquite bean wine recipe that you might be able to adapt (if you're so inclined) to a melomel. winemaking: Mesquite Bean Wine Hope you find some of this info useful. Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back