Belgian Sour Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's one in Jamil Zainasheff's book. If nobody posts anything by the time I get home tonight, I'll post the gist of it... I don't want to post the exact recipe since he sells the book.

If you still can't get anything useful, he'll be doing a podcast on the style in October.

Okay, so I kept forgetting to do this, but it's early morning and I don't have to leave for the bus quite yet.

The big thing Jamil talks about in his book is that the flanders brown is tricky because you have to be careful about when you add your souring addition... you want it to be sour, but not as sour as a flanders red. He says he likes to add the dirty bugs just as fermentation begins to slow on the normal base beer, but that when to add it is kind of a trial and error sort of thing.

His recipe is pilsener based with a little munich and some other stuff along the way... like I said, I don't really want to post the recipe, but I'd highly recommend buying the book, it's probably the last recipe book I'll ever want.

Back