Fruit Beer Belgian Raspberry Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cultkid

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Belgian Ale - Wyeast 1214
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 20ºC
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 @ 22.2ºC
Tasting Notes
This beer has a sweet tart aroma and taste
4 KG (8.8lbs) Briess Golden Light DME (70.8%)
1 KG (2.2lbs) Munich Malt (17.7%)
250g (8.8oz) Peated Malt (4.42%)
250g (8.8oz) Cara-Pils/Dextrine (4.42%)
150g (5.3oz) Chocolate Malt (2.65%)
---
4KG (8.8lbs) total of Raspberries
---
30g (1oz) East Kent Goldings Hops (60 Min Boil)
30g (1oz) Liberty Hops (30 Min Boil)
30g (1oz) Liberty Hops (15 Min Boil)
30g (1oz) Liberty Hops (Flameout)

I used the BIAB method to mash my grains at 65.5ºC (150F) for 60 min. I sparged with 76.6ºC (170F) water by slowly sifting the water over the bag as it sat in a strainer over my boil pot. I did not compress or otherwise try and hasten the sparge by squeezing the bag. I RDWHAHB.

I used a trivet on my electric stove top to reduce the risk of scorching my grains and/or extract. If you don't have a suitable trivet, I suggest putting down a few pennies between the element and your pot. If you have the luxury of a garage with a propane burner; more power to you, but I live in a condo.

I boiled my wort and added the extract as soon as it hit the boil. Some people prefer to leave extract until the last 15 minutes, but I like to get it in right away depending on the beer I am making. I added my hops according to the hop schedule above. At 15 minutes remaining, I added 2KG (4.4lbs) of fresh raspberries which I had previously frozen and then thawed. I also added a small amount of Irish Moss and also my home made immersion chiller which I made from this tutorial.

After cooling my wort to 18ºC (64F) and agitating it, I topped my primary up to 25L (6.6 gal). The OG came out to 1.071 and my target FG was 1.018. I pitched with a smack pack of Belgian Ale yeast 1214 which I had allowed to start for 3-4 hours ahead of time. I fermented for 2 weeks, then racked onto another 2KG (4.4lbs) of frozen and then thawed Raspberries. Before I added the Raspberries to my carboy, I brought them up to aprox. 54ºC (130F) in about 2L (.5 gal) of water after first rinsing them all in StarSan. I don't know if that was really necessary, but I did it anyway "just in case". I added a pack of brettanomyces to the secondary, and boy did it ferment the added fruit sugars in a hurry! Almost had a blow off disaster when my blowoff clogged due to all the Raspberry pips in it! After 4 weeks in the carboy, I bottled with 122g (4.3oz) of Dextrose for a desired 2.00 atmospheres of CO2 at 23.3ºC (74F) for several weeks.

Some things I didn't plan for, but happened anyway; a) After racking onto the Raspberries, I suddenly had about 3L (.8 gal) of extra beer with nowhere to put it... so of course I just bottled it off and called it my "special dubbel". It isn't as sour or Raspberry flavored as the rest, but it's pretty darn good. b) in my original recipe, I had planned on using only 50g (1.76oz) of Chocolate Malt, but I accidentally dumped in everything that I had left in my little container... it worked out well, and now I wouldn't change a thing.

If anyone tries this recipe out, please let me know how you liked it, (or didn't). For me, this is now one of my favorite recipes and I will definitely be making it again! It ages well, and in fact after 6 months I think it's much better than when it was younger!

:mug:

4 KG (8.8lbs) Briess Golden Light DME (70.8%)
1 KG (2.2lbs) Munich Malt (17.7%)
250g (8.8oz) Peated Malt (4.42%)
250g (8.8oz) Cara-Pils/Dextrine (4.42%)
150g (5.3oz) Chocolate Malt (2.65%)
---
4KG (8.8lbs) total of Raspberries
---
30g (1oz) East Kent Goldings Hops (60 Min Boil)
30g (1oz) Liberty Hops (30 Min Boil)
30g (1oz) Liberty Hops (15 Min Boil)
30g (1oz) Liberty Hops (Flameout)

I used the BIAB method to mash my grains at 65.5ºC (150F) for 60 min. I sparged with 76.6ºC (170F) water by slowly sifting the water over the bag as it sat in a strainer over my boil pot. I did not compress or otherwise try and hasten the sparge by squeezing the bag. I RDWHAHB.

I used a trivet on my electric stove top to reduce the risk of scorching my grains and/or extract. If you don't have a suitable trivet, I suggest putting down a few pennies between the element and your pot. If you have the luxury of a garage with a propane burner; more power to you, but I live in a condo.

I boiled my wort and added the extract as soon as it hit the boil. Some people prefer to leave extract until the last 15 minutes, but I like to get it in right away depending on the beer I am making. I added my hops according to the hop schedule above. At 15 minutes remaining, I added 2KG (4.4lbs) of fresh raspberries which I had previously frozen and then thawed. I also added a small amount of Irish Moss and also my home made immersion chiller which I made from this tutorial.

After cooling my wort to 18ºC (64F) and agitating it, I topped my primary up to 25L (6.6 gal). The OG came out to 1.071 and my target FG was 1.018. I pitched with a smack pack of Belgian Ale yeast 1214 which I had allowed to start for 3-4 hours ahead of time. I fermented for 2 weeks, then racked onto another 2KG (4.4lbs) of frozen and then thawed Raspberries. Before I added the Raspberries to my carboy, I brought them up to aprox. 54ºC (130F) in about 2L (.5 gal) of water after first rinsing them all in StarSan. I don't know if that was really necessary, but I did it anyway "just in case". I added a pack of brettanomyces to the secondary, and boy did it ferment the added fruit sugars in a hurry! Almost had a blow off disaster when my blowoff clogged due to all the Raspberry pips in it! After 4 weeks in the carboy, I bottled with 122g (4.3oz) of Dextrose for a desired 2.00 atmospheres of CO2 at 23.3ºC (74F) for several weeks.

Some things I didn't plan for, but happened anyway; a) After racking onto the Raspberries, I suddenly had about 3L (.8 gal) of extra beer with nowhere to put it... so of course I just bottled it off and called it my "special dubbel". It isn't as sour or Raspberry flavored as the rest, but it's pretty darn good. b) in my original recipe, I had planned on using only 50g (1.76oz) of Chocolate Malt, but I accidentally dumped in everything that I had left in my little container... it worked out well, and now I wouldn't change a thing.

If anyone tries this recipe out, please let me know how you liked it, (or didn't). For me, this is now one of my favorite recipes and I will definitely be making it again! It ages well, and in fact after 6 months I think it's much better than when it was younger!

:mug:

This sounds delicious... I need to figure out the ratio to make this all grain... I'd like to try this in the near future.. I'm a big dubbel fan. .and a big raspberry fan... perfect!

Back