GRABASS (Raleigh) Willamette (Dang)it 1/22/11

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahoDal

Reaction score
Same thing as the every other time at my house. Show up when you want, bring what you want, leave when you want.

Challenge/Rule is that all those brewing must use at least 4oz of Willamette hops (which will be provided free of charge).

Now I got to think up a recipe...

Will be there brewing so prepare for a lot of cursing at the mash tun, throwing things, general temper tantrums, etc.

How many are brewing? Is there a limit to the number of set-ups?

How many are brewing? Is there a limit to the number of set-ups?

From an email I got from Dallas:

idahoDal said:
So far I have 14 confirmed brewers and 10-15 other folks coming (sounds like a decent number of swmbo's so those that aren't coming tell them there will be many other's here). This is going to be insane!

I don't think there is really a limit on the number of set-ups. Several people brewing on Saturday are borrowing gear rather than bringing their own, but that's more of a convenience for them rather than a space issue.

This thing is going to go on all day.

Still deciding. Might just go sans brewing. That's a lot of brewers!

Still deciding. Might just go sans brewing. That's a lot of brewers!

It'll be a good time for sure.

More info:

idahoDal said:
I have 2 butt's that I'm going to wrap in bacon for 15 pounds (precook weight) of pork along with 2 pounds or so of some kind of smoked bird from a previous cook (doing the cooking in the oven, too damn cold for the pit). I'm also making 12 pounds of turkey jerky tomorrow for snacks. This along with BigDug's venison and any sides folks bring should be plenty of food for lunch and I'll shoot to have that ready shortly after noon when I'm done brewing.

I'm going to bring some side items like beans and what-not.

Even if you dont brew someone will probably need a hand at some point so you will be able to participate if eating good food and drinking homebrew isnt participation enough for ya.

I encourage anyone who is on the fence to come, even if you've never come before. Lots of fun and lots of beer so don't worry if you don't have anything to bring on hand. No dress code, no formalities, no set time to get there and leave... Just a good time had by all!

New to this and curious about the logistics. Probably won't be able to make it this time, but am interested in the future. Does everyone just bring their brewing equipment and set up in your driveway and brew down? How does that work with chilling water, starters, etc. It seems like you'd need to be really well prepared in terms of making sure you don't forget anything. Do you all crush your grains before hand? Also, I like to enjoy homebrews the last half of my brewday and would not want to risk driving home. Do people stay overnight or at least for a while to sober up? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks! Sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to share knowledge. Only brewing for a little more than a year, I can see how this get together would be great for learning.

New to this and curious about the logistics. Probably won't be able to make it this time, but am interested in the future. Does everyone just bring their brewing equipment and set up in your driveway and brew down? How does that work with chilling water, starters, etc. It seems like you'd need to be really well prepared in terms of making sure you don't forget anything. Do you all crush your grains before hand? Also, I like to enjoy homebrews the last half of my brewday and would not want to risk driving home. Do people stay overnight or at least for a while to sober up? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks! Sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to share knowledge. Only brewing for a little more than a year, I can see how this get together would be great for learning.

The last time I was there and we had a few folks, there were a couple in the driveway and a couple in the garage. He has a pretty big area to brew outside so it shouldn't be a problem.

Everyone usually brings their own equipment simply because they are used to it. This time, a few folks are borrowing other people's equipment because either they don't have their own or don't want to bring their own. It is quite a bit.

Currently, water out of the tap is pretty cold but it tends to get recirculated through a few bags of ice and some water to help Dal not have a muddy yard.

If you want to pitch there, you can bring a starter / packet of yeast. If not, it should be fine until you get home. I tend to bring up an airlock and pitch at home but I may not this round.

We will have a couple of mills on hand to crush grain. If you wanted to crush it and bring it, no problems there.

Dal has said that if you want to stay the night, you're welcome to do so. I like to drink a little more the first half of when I'm there and sober up before I leave. Or I just go easy the entire time. It really is a matter of you being responsible for your own actions and no one is going to stop you from drinking if you want. We won't let you need a place to crash and not have one, though.

Thanks for the information!

Sounds great; I'll make sure to join next time. I'm brewing on Sat, but plan to do 20 gal which takes me 8-9 hours; probably a little to much to do away from home. I may reserve a 5 gal IIPA like a Hopslam clone for the next GRABASS.

One guy that's coming is doing 20 possibly 30 gallons. Why does volume have any bearing on you coming or not? I'm starting around 8am and will pass out whenever I get around to it. The length of the brew day is really irrelevant.

One guy that's coming is doing 20 possibly 30 gallons. Why does volume have any bearing on you coming or not? I'm starting around 8am and will pass out whenever I get around to it. The length of the brew day is really irrelevant.

Yeah, when I replace my old Suburban this spring with another SUV or truck it would be doable, but don't think my Toyota will hold two burners, tanks, 20 and 10 gal brewpots, buckets, 2 IceCube coolers (1 mash tun), 4 glass carboys, BrewStuffTub, etc.

Hey folks - I'm Hannable. Nice to meet ya!

Walker hit me up in a PM after seeing me post in the group buy thread ( dang I still hate I missed that thing ) and pointed me towards your shenanigans. I have really been wanting to meet some brewers, and intend t come. I'mma bring 2 fryers, 2 71/2 pots, and a 5 gal pot, my mash paddle and such.

I have an idea for the Williamette challenge, if I may be included. If hops are spoken for though thats cool - don't wanna step on toes.

Question of logistics though - for me, its a bit of a ride. If I bring a corney, couldn't I just put my wort in it, hit with some gas to give a good seal, and let it ride home in that and pitch later, and not risk sloshin a bucket around in the back of my truck?

Anyways - so long as work does not stop me, I really look forward to meeting you guys.

Question of logistics though - for me, its a bit of a ride. If I bring a corney, couldn't I just put my wort in it, hit with some gas to give a good seal, and let it ride home in that and pitch later, and not risk sloshin a bucket around in the back of my truck?
Sounds like a fine plan to me.

Anyways - so long as work does not stop me, I really look forward to meeting you guys.

Two side comments.

1) We have an email alias for raleigh area brewers that I can add you to if you want. That way you won't miss any future group buys or brewing events. Just PM me you email address if you are interested.

2) I'm going to assume from your avatar that you play the accordian. I'm pestering other folks coming to this thing to see if anyone might want to attempt to jam a little.

I put my beer in a bucket for the ride home. I put an airlock in place and let her bump. It is about an hour for me so don't let a little sloshing scare you. But, your idea of a keg will probably work just as well if not better.

Two side comments.

1) We have an email alias for raleigh area brewers that I can add you to if you want. That way you won't miss any future group buys or brewing events. Just PM me you email address if you are interested.

2) I'm going to assume from your avatar that you play the accordian. I'm pestering other folks coming to this thing to see if anyone might want to attempt to jam a little.

1) [email protected] ( and check out my site, too! LOL )

2) I do not so much as play as make the guitar gods wonder why I was ever allowed to pick up an instrument - it's not pretty....

Just left Dr. after a full day and a CT scan - my weekend plans are cancelled - please post some pics and be sure to let me know when the next one will be.

wowza. i hope all is well.

Thanks - it seems that there are things called "tensional induced migrains " = I swear the way my head hurt and BP spiked I was gonna have a stroke. Doc said take these meds and relax - do nothing for the weekend.

For once I got scared enough to listen to the Doc, LOL.

We're about as good a pain-killer and stress reducer as any folks I know. You should consider heading over if you can get a driver so you don't stroke out in traffic.

We're about as good a pain-killer and stress reducer as any folks I know. You should consider heading over if you can get a driver so you don't stroke out in traffic.

FWIW, I feel better this morning. I dunno - will have to wait and see. * IF * I still feel fine I may be there mid-morning. If not, may the beer gods bless you guys with good fermentation, no boilovers and good weather to brew in.

- The HP

Wow.

What a day.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

I don't know how much beer was made, but I know we filled a 90 gallon trashcan THREE TIMES with spent grain.

Jesus we made a lot of beer. I tried to count. I think there were ~13-14 brewers. I don't know how many made 10 gallons, but we probably made at least 80 gallons today not including what Dal made last night. Thanks for hosting Dallas. A blast as always, regardless of the weather or Barc being there.

Sounds great!

My brewday started out great, but hit a skid as I was about to stick my chiller in the first 10 gal batch and noticed it froze up and burst in about 6 spots. Luckily I saw this just before I dumped it in the boiling wort. My handy neighbor was able to solder it well enough for use, so finally got that cooled and yeast pitched (OG around 1.081). That batch hit the numbers right on, but the second was suppose to be 15 gal session pale, but ended up around 8-9 gal with an OG of 1.085 because I ran out of sparge water. Now I'm going to end up with 18 gal of ~9% IIPA. The problems made it about an 11 hour brewday.

How often do these events take place? This sounds like a blast that I need to be a part of!! I am interested in future endeavors.

preparing to post all pics now.

My three favorites from the day first, and then the rest in no real particular order and without much comment.

First, our host looking particularly 'bumpkin':
IMG00384.jpg

The next two I like because of the sun's rays being caught by the lens. Unfortunately, skee is in both of them.

I think this one would make a great avatar:
IMG00385.jpg

And this one just looks neat:
IMG00380.jpg

We filled this damn trashcan 3 times withspent grain and hops, and I even had to shovel a f*cking compost bin down the creek bank to make room for crap to be dumped:

IMG00386.jpg

IMG00387.jpg

And a few SWMBO's:
IMG00391.jpg

IMG00392.jpg

And my fermenter the following day when I loaded it into the car at high kraeusen and brought it home:

IMG00393.jpg

Back