Violent Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewser09

Reaction score
I did a full boil of Brewers best Hop nog IPA on saturday and did the gravity reading and i was at 1.60 (the goal was 1.50) I didn't add any water but just added the yeast anyway. Yesterday while showing some friends my house i showed the the beer and the whole airlock was gunked up and everything, so put a blowoff hose and everything on it but i started thinking should i add more water to it, and could i even do it right now if I wanted to? It has a great hop taste and i will be dry hopping with 2 oz of casscade hops. What are my options? I am thinking of letting it go but i wanted to get someone elses opinon first.

The gunk in the airlock is nothing to worry about. If I were you, I would let it ferment out as is. You just did not have enough head space in your fermentor to handle the fermentation. At least you had the sense to put a blow off on it, unlike me who simply cleaned out the airlock and reinserted, only to have my fermentor blow its top an hour later. That batch turned out fine.

Back