Brew day disaster - What to do next.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnabyHooge

Reaction score
So, after spilling grain out of the mill hopper, two stuck sparges and a stuck spout on the brew kettle, the 1 liter starter I put in my 42 degree cold conditioning freezer to drop the yeast froze solid.

It's a fairly well hopped trippel that will be sitting for 24 hours before I A. pitch washed saison yeast from prevoious batch, or B. maybe pitch two packs of new Wyeast packets if I can get them on the way home from work.

Is it a lost cause? Is this just going to be a festering infected mess no matter what.

I'm confident in my sanitizing practces but I'm thinking this may be my first infected batch. I'd hate to drop $15 on new yeast if it's a lost cause.

Worst. Brew Day. Ever.

I've waited 36 hours to pitch and then it took another 36 to get moving... the beer tastes great!

When we pay such close attention to sanitation I think you don't have to worry...

Just use the yeast from the previous batch. You don't even have to wash it. The wort can wait a day, don't worry you will be just fine.

Back