Wanting to brew a Gose by using a mini sour mash. Advise needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratrules

Reaction score
As i stated in the title i want to brew up a Gose by using a mini sour mash. But i want to know whats the best way to go about it? And how big does the mini mash have to be to get a good sour taste to it? The reason i ask the size is because i had the idea of making the mini sour mash in a container inside of my food dehydrator since i make yogurt in side it i know it maintains great temp. But i think i can only fit half a gallon inside there.

And how long do i leave mini sour mash with the main mash? I want it sour but not funky sour. :p

You can start off with half a gallon and probably let it sit for 2-3 days then make your main mash and add the sour mash. If you can keep the whole mash warm I would be surprised if it took more than 24 hours to get a good sourness. It depends on how sour you want it. If you want it to have just slight tartness, the half gallon for 4-5 days would probably be enough on its own.

Great thanks for that answer!!! Also I was if anybody has ever used a probiotic to make a sour mash. I was thinking of adding a few capsules just to give the lactobacillus a head start. That and keeping it at 120 should help keep out nasties. I was thinking of using the ones from this picture.

ForumRunner_20120821_174339.jpg

I tried using a different probiotic supplement that had lactobacillus acidophilus and brevis along with some other yeast. I got zero sourness out of it, just some diacetyl and most of the beer flavor disappeared somewhere. So I would recommend trying your hand on a separate experiment to see if you get better results but for a five gallon batch I would not feel comfortable that those pills would work.

The key to getting a good sour mash or sour work is limiting oxygen exposure. If you don't feel comfortable doing a sour mash with the grains left in, you can do the sour wort process instead. You basically do a mini mash, sparge and give it a quick boil to stabilize. Add to a container with minimal headspace, add some grain, cover tightly with foil and let heat. I do this process for my sour mashes/sour worts and I've never had bad results using a growler.

The key to getting a good sour mash or sour work is limiting oxygen exposure. If you don't feel comfortable doing a sour mash with the grains left in, you can do the sour wort process instead. You basically do a mini mash, sparge and give it a quick boil to stabilize. Add to a container with minimal headspace, add some grain, cover tightly with foil and let heat. I do this process for my sour mashes/sour worts and I've never had bad results using a growler.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i think that's exactly what am going to do. the mini mash. i also got some frozen wort i might just use that and add some grains. i also heard people use apple juice then add the grains to that. have you ever tried that?

I tried using a different probiotic supplement that had lactobacillus acidophilus and brevis along with some other yeast. I got zero sourness out of it, just some diacetyl and most of the beer flavor disappeared somewhere. So I would recommend trying your hand on a separate experiment to see if you get better results but for a five gallon batch I would not feel comfortable that those pills would work.

The key to getting a good sour mash or sour work is limiting oxygen exposure. If you don't feel comfortable doing a sour mash with the grains left in, you can do the sour wort process instead. You basically do a mini mash, sparge and give it a quick boil to stabilize. Add to a container with minimal headspace, add some grain, cover tightly with foil and let heat. I do this process for my sour mashes/sour worts and I've never had bad results using a growler.

Yeah i think that's exactly what am going to do. the mini mash. i also got some frozen wort i might just use that and add some grains. i also heard people use apple juice then add the grains to that. have you ever tried that?

I have some Bactoferm™ F-LC in my freezer that I use for dry curing sausage. But I don't think I really want to try that lol. I was thinking of the apple juice with the grain. Saves me the trouble of the mini mash. But like I stated earlier I have frozen wort also. Damn it seems like there is many differnet ways to go about this!!

Back