Mash thermometer - digital w/ probe, what do you guys use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
Looking to get one of the typical digital thermometers with the metal problem attached to a cable. Saw some dude on Youtube use one in his vid and would like one myself. I know the probe isn't meant to be fully submersed in the mash as the end that meets the cable typically isn't water proof. But the probes seem to usually be a few inches long meaning I can hang it down into the mash and hold the cable while putting the lid on to keep the probe hanging at length - just what I saw the guy do in the vid.

Anyhow, there are many brands and makes of digital w/probe thermometers out there and I just want to see if any of you have any you've been using for a while that you recommend. I do not want a thru-wall or anything other than the digital/cable/with probe type at this time. Just trying to see if there are any tried and true one's out there that I can confidently go ahead and buy.

Rev.

^^^^ "We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site "

Rev.

Fluke could work. You can use measures J, K, T, and E-types of thermocouples. Cost is higher but they last a long time. But I am an industry guy and brew with the equipment I have at work.

I have seen a vid with a guy using the digital thermometer with the cable and probe and he had + or - 6 degrees written on it from his calibration. Can't remember which direction. Either way I question the accuracy of them. Always calibrate! Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only "recommended" cheapie I know of is the CDN one, and that doesn't have a remote probe, (btw, I chuckled at how your autocorrect turned "probe" into "problem" in your original post...hilarious, and pretty true).

Whatever you go with, I've recently been thinking about sealing up a probe with silicone. I mean, it's food safe, handles temps up to like 500F, and easy to apply. The only one I know of is the DAP 100% silicone sealant, (here, but also at probably any hardware store). Seems a lot more permenant than the hokey "aquarium tube and vaseline" sealing method....and then you don't have to worry about getting it wet...

I guess it was my error typing away too fast or something cause I wasn't on my phone at the time.

Is the risk of damage that great not sealing up the probe end - ok, just typed "problem" again so apparently it's me... I got some glitch mentally that occasionally types problem instead of probe LOL. Didn't even realize that till typing now. Anyhow, if the probe is suspended just enough for the steel to be in the mash and no further does that still pose a risk?

Rev.

Fluke could work. You can use measures J, K, T, and E-types of thermocouples. Cost is higher but they last a long time. But I am an industry guy and brew with the equipment I have at work.

I use my fluke 87v and thermocouple to measure my mash emps

I use a fast ThermoWorks thermometer. It reads temp in ~3 or 4 secs, is very accurate and is cheap enough to not get too pissed if it falls in the mash. I use it for measuring the temp of strike water, mash, etc. Not as fancy as built in Brewmometers, but a hell of alot cheaper and flexible.

I follow Alton Brown: "No uni-taskers!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Taylor Digital Cooking Thermometer/Timer Is a horrible product.

I bought one off the advice of this thread, its off by 40F when the temp is 100F or lower, and the amount its off by changes as temps go up.

i wanted to mash at 154, but ended up at 160 , since how much the thermometer was off by kept changing. :(

avoid this product like the plague.

Taylor Digital Cooking Thermometer/Timer Is a horrible product.

I bought one off the advice of this thread, its off by 40F when the temp is 100F or lower, and the amount its off by changes as temps go up.

i wanted to mash at 154, but ended up at 160 , since how much the thermometer was off by kept changing. :(

avoid this product like the plague.

Wow, just back on the forum today since my brewing season kicked in and see this post of mine from 2011 necrobumped :) Well, just wanted to say all this time I've been using a Thermoworks RT600B (or C?). Quite inexpensive and it's been doing the job great for years now. Not cabled, but whatever.

Rev.

Ya bumping old threads is sort of a (bad?) Habit of mine..

I ended up ordering this , but i haven't used it yet :
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt610b_12+24.html (24" model)

plan is to drill a small hole in the top of my keggle, possibly using a few washers if i need to raise it up a little bit. probe is 24" and i have a 15.5 gallon keggle which i believe is 23" or 23 and 1/2 so it should fit really well.

I use a dairy thermometer. It takes a few minutes to settle in, but is very accurate. Just float it in the mash and check after 10 minutes and every time you stir.

So I was able to test my 24" thermometer doing a batch of Cider.

Its great! 5 Stars (granted what i tried previously was horrible) I used about 5 " of PVC pipe and a cork to get the spacing i wanted. the instructions say the response time is 15-20 seconds when submerged but it appears to be Much more responsive than that. seems more like 2-3 seconds .

I do have to be standing to get a reading but not really a big deal to me.

I would recommend this product to others with a keggle or a cylindrical cooler used as a mash ton (would work on a square one too) though i would imagine for those applications you would want the 12" model.

:)

Back